Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,207   Online: 810

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have the money, honey, skgrimes has the time. See http://www.skgrimes.com/lens-mountin...ed-to-shutters

SKGrimes will make a cup-shaped adapter to hold your lens in front of a #1 shutter for considerably less than putting it in shutter. If y'r 4x5 has enough extension, the lens will cover 4x5 with some movements mounted that way. I use a similar cup-shaped adapter and a #1 with my 480/9 Apo-Nikkor (similar to an Apo-Ronar). The most cost-effective #1 for front mounting is the Polaroid MP-4 (so badged, accept no substitutes), a #1 Copal Press shutter without a diaphragm. Unless you use fast film, the #1 Press' top speed of 1/125 is more than fast enough. Front mounting this way on a somewhat larger shutter (first choice, Ilex #3) is also possible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    If you have the money, honey, skgrimes has the time. See http://www.skgrimes.com/lens-mountin...ed-to-shutters

SKGrimes will make a cup-shaped adapter to hold your lens in front of a #1 shutter for considerably less than putting it in shutter. If y'r 4x5 has enough extension, the lens will cover 4x5 with some movements mounted that way. I use a similar cup-shaped adapter and a #1 with my 480/9 Apo-Nikkor (similar to an Apo-Ronar). The most cost-effective #1 for front mounting is the Polaroid MP-4 (so badged, accept no substitutes), a #1 Copal Press shutter without a diaphragm. Unless you use fast film, the #1 Press' top speed of 1/125 is more than fast enough. Front mounting this way on a somewhat larger shutter (first choice, Ilex #3) is also possible.
    Yeah, unfortunately I don't have the money, all of my photography is on a budget. I presume by your 'cup-shaped holder' you're referring to this (which is what I was envisaging having to do anyway, I've seen everything else Grimes can do but I'd never seen that page before somehow). Or maybe I can con the mech guys at work to draw me up a cad model and take it to the cnc machine out the back.
    Of course that depends on what shutter I manage to find.

Does the MP4 just have regular #1 sized threads and all? I'm wondering if that will really be big enough, if the Apo Ronar is 90mm across, with a 465/9=52mm iris, shoudn't I be looking for something with roughly the same size, like an Ilex #5 goes to 63.5mm or #4 goes to 44.5mm (iris), with 76mm threads. I don't think that I'll be using too extreme movements so I suppose #1 might work without vignetting (i've got a spare one at least to try out when the lens gets here). Like most things the shutter size I get will probably just depend on whatever I find for cheapest.

The other thing I learned on the weekend is that my Omega 45D has (officially) non-extendable non-(self)-replacable bellows, and I can only get 46cm max film-lensboard out of them before they pop.
    Challenge accepted.
    My idea is to just buy a new front standard, attach bellows to that, and attach the other end of the bellows to a lensboard (with a giant hole in the centre), making it a true 'add-on' for extending, I should get up to 80cm at least with that rig.
    Hopefully that'll save me from having to buy a Sinar/Arca/Toyo45G (like I wanted instead of the Toyo 45D, but couldn't afford).

Or if none of that works, the final use will be to actually use it as an enlarging lens as intended. Had that dream-conversation with my mum yesterday, where one of her friends may be giving away her late husband's darkroom equipment to yours truly. Or maybe there's an 8x10 in her shed too, won't know for a week or two when I get to inspect it all.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Please read this http://www.galerie-photo.com/telecha...2011-03-29.pdf and this http://www.galerie-photo.com/baby-bertha-6x9-en.html . They have pictures, explain my approach to front mounting and other things you need to know. Without looking for the bill, I think I paid SKGrimes around $135 for a female M90x1 to male M40x0.75 adapter to hold my 480 Apo Nikkor in front of a #1.

The MP-4 shutter is a Copal Press #1 shutter with no diaphragm, meets the #1 threading standard. Re big enough, read what I've written.

If you can cut the stuff precisely, the Aussie equivalent of our light-weight 4" PVC drain pipe will make dandy extension tubes. Read! If you do this, you'll need a crutch to support lens, shutter and tube and something for the crutch to stand on. Read!

If you add a standard you'll need a longer rail or an extension rail. Are they made for the 45d? If not, you're stuck. Your best option might (think it over carefully, and understand I have no idea how much y'r 45D will bring or how much an SC-2 will cost in OZ) be to change to the Cambo system. I understand that Sinars, about which I know little that's useful, are well-supported and relatively inexpensive too.

There were many versions of the 480/9 Apo Ronar, some are quite heavy. A #1 will support a 610/9 Apo-Nikkor (cataloged weight 1450 g) plus light-alloy adapter but I wouldn't hang anything much heavier on one.

Bellows can be attached to lensboads, or, more exactly, a lensboard can be converted into a bellows frame. A draft of a piece on making a bag bellows that will eventually appear on the French LF site is here: http://sdrv.ms/1bNxjZQ This isn't the final version, needs some changes. There are pictures too, you don't need 'em.

Good luck, accumulate your small monetary units, have fun,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately I don't have the money, all of my photography is on a budget. I presume by your 'cup-shaped holder' you're referring to this (which is what I was envisaging having to do anyway, I've seen everything else Grimes can do but I'd never seen that page before somehow). Or maybe I can con the mech guys at work to draw me up a cad model and take it to the cnc machine out the back.
    Of course that depends on what shutter I manage to find.

Does the MP4 just have regular #1 sized threads and all? I'm wondering if that will really be big enough, if the Apo Ronar is 90mm across, with a 465/9=52mm iris, shoudn't I be looking for something with roughly the same size, like an Ilex #5 goes to 63.5mm or #4 goes to 44.5mm (iris), with 76mm threads. I don't think that I'll be using too extreme movements so I suppose #1 might work without vignetting (i've got a spare one at least to try out when the lens gets here). Like most things the shutter size I get will probably just depend on whatever I find for cheapest.

The other thing I learned on the weekend is that my Omega 45D has (officially) non-extendable non-(self)-replacable bellows, and I can only get 46cm max film-lensboard out of them before they pop.
    Challenge accepted.
    My idea is to just buy a new front standard, attach bellows to that, and attach the other end of the bellows to a lensboard (with a giant hole in the centre), making it a true 'add-on' for extending, I should get up to 80cm at least with that rig.
    Hopefully that'll save me from having to buy a Sinar/Arca/Toyo45G (like I wanted instead of the Toyo 45D, but couldn't afford).

Or if none of that works, the final use will be to actually use it as an enlarging lens as intended. Had that dream-conversation with my mum yesterday, where one of her friends may be giving away her late husband's darkroom equipment to yours truly. Or maybe there's an 8x10 in her shed too, won't know for a week or two when I get to inspect it all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin