Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,531   Posts: 1,543,981   Online: 1055

Shooter
    Multi Format

Packard shutter piston lubrication?

I was curious if there is a prefered lubrication for the piston on a packard shutter. I tried sewing machine oil, but considered it too messy and removed it completely. I am now using graphite with good results. This shutter is 5.75" square with a 3" diameter aperture. Thanks.
    "Lo único de lo que el mundo no se cansará nunca es de exageración." Salvador Dalí

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If the piston is clean and undamaged, it shouldn't need any lubricant.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
    If the piston is clean and undamaged, it shouldn't need any lubricant.
    Thanks Barry. That's what I was hoping. Being brass I'd think dry would suffice. But this shutter has been unreliable at returning to the closed position. That is until I used the graphite.
    "Lo único de lo que el mundo no se cansará nunca es de exageración." Salvador Dalí

Shooter
    Large Format
    Graphite is the way I would have gone, too.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Graphite is OK but it should be used sparingly. If the piston and bore are within tolerance no lubrication should be needed. Of course, being an older shutter, it might need a little help. Glad you got it working.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the shutter hesitates in closing, the problem is probably not the piston. Try taking the blades out (these things are ridiculously simple - even I have been able to take them apart and put them together again with no left over bits and pieces!) Cleaning, and then a tiny touch of graphite at the pivot points made the difference on the two old and crusty ones I have.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The pistons on Packard shutters are made of fairly thin and soft metal, so they can easily get slightly bent out of shape. I've had some success carefully bending the pistons to retrue them and they work perfectly without lubrication. If a little graphite solves your problem, that's good, but if you ever run into one that sticks after the blades and piston are clean, you may be able to carefully true the piston.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think we're good on this shutter. It has operated as desired for the several days now. I opened the case and cleaned the blades, a little graphite at the pivot points as suggested, and a dusting of graphite between the blades themselves. Silky smooth. I dusted the piston previously with graphite, so we're good there also. After generous bulb sqeezes and flattening the bulb completely, it takes the bulb a minute or so to re-equalize in pressure. So, we think got a good seal throughout the system. I'm going to find an in-line valve to bleed the system of it's vacuum as required. Thanks to everyone for the assistance, that's for sure.
    Last edited by DannL; 08-07-2009 at 04:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Update: No valve is required. With a soldering iron I melted a small hole in the bulb. The palm of my hand covers the hole when I queeze the bulb. Cool! Problem solved.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The bulbs sold for Packards typically have a hole on the end you cover with your thumb. The company is still in business (http://www.packardshutter.com/)
    and the tubing and bulbs they sell are exactly right. I once tried other tubing, which was a bit narrower, and the shutter didn't work properly until I replaced it with the right size bought from Reno F. at Packard.

Quote Originally Posted by DannL View Post
    Update: No valve is required. With a soldering iron I melted a small hole in the bulb. The palm of my hand covers the hole when I queeze the bulb. Cool! Problem solved.
    Tracy Storer
    Polaroid 20x24 Studio West
    www.mammothcamera.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin