Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,168   Online: 829

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images
    I am coming to the end of an emotional journey, that will start a new one.

Back in October I was presented with an opportunity to own the holy grail, a FS V8 Deardorff. I was told if I wanted it, it was mine. I knew I couldn't afford it all at once, and sent a Linhof monorail as a down payment.

I gave myself a set of criteria thath had to happen before I could pay it off, and they have all been completed. In the past week I have paid off two credit cards, and all of my insurance policies for the next six months. I managed things well enough to have all of March's bills paid as well.

I go and get the camera, with 8x10, and revolving 4x5 backs on Saturday. I have sent my lenses ahead of me, and they are serviced and waiting on 'dorff boards, ready to shoot. I have film and holders at the ready.

I now feel like an addict. I'm counting every second until Saturday. I have worked hard to accomplish this, and it is coming true. I can hardly live with myself. The camera has been a goal unto itself. The photographic posibilities are off the scale.

Can anyone else relate? Whether for gear or not, have you met goals, that while great unto themselves, brought greater things in return?

Only 120 hours to go...
    "Hey, I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do!"-Bender Bending Rodriguez

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Put that exciting energy to use and shoot with that camera every chance you get!

I have some obstacles in my life and every time I reach my goal I set a new one. Life's about the journey, not in the completion.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    SNIP
    Quote Originally Posted by veriwide

I have worked hard to accomplish this, and it is coming true. I can hardly live with myself. The camera has been a goal unto itself. The photographic posibilities are off the scale.
    end snip

Many lessons to be learned or remembered in your post. Thank you, and as long as we continue to begin journeys, our historys will be rich.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that using 8x10 and larger is partly my fascination with such a beautiful piece of woodwork. Do not be daunted by the weight of your pack, you shall be rewarded with beautiful, large negatives. You must use the camera often. You must make negatives that stand in a cue for your printing affections. The beauty of that Deardorff will inspire you to cultivate your vision and your technique. Enjoy the ride!
    Francesco

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by veriwide

Back in October I was presented with an opportunity to own the holy grail, a FS V8 Deardorff. I was told if I wanted it, it was mine. I knew I couldn't afford it all at once, and sent a Linhof monorail as a down payment.

I gave myself a set of criteria thath had to happen before I could pay it off, and they have all been completed. In the past week I have paid off two credit cards, and all of my insurance policies for the next six months. I managed things well enough to have all of March's bills paid as well.

I go and get the camera, with 8x10, and revolving 4x5 backs on Saturday. I have sent my lenses ahead of me, and they are serviced and waiting on 'dorff boards, ready to shoot. I have film and holders at the ready.

I now feel like an addict. I'm counting every second until Saturday. I have worked hard to accomplish this, and it is coming true. I can hardly live with myself. The camera has been a goal unto itself. The photographic posibilities are off the scale.

Can anyone else relate? Whether for gear or not, have you met goals, that while great unto themselves, brought greater things in return?

Only 120 hours to go...
    I understand the excitement and anticipation. I think that what I observe in what you have written is a bit of what I experience when I photograph with one of my old cameras. There is a certain character to these cameras...a tradition, if you will. A mandate, as well, to carry forward with the tradition of fine images made, life experienced, and realizations achieved. Good luck.

Donald Miller

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images
    I look forward to packing this camera as I used to have a Calumet C1. Good'ol American Iron is great for cars, but not so much with cameras.

I will have a lot of opportunity to use this camera soon. I am quitting my job and going back to college. Sometime in the next 60 days I'll be moving to Boone, NC to go through the Photography Technology program at Appalachain State University (another reason I'm so happy to be out of debt!). I'll almost be twice as old(35) as some of the other students there, but most of my gear is older than I am, so I figure it all works out.

A new camera, a new education, and moving within hollerin' distance of the Appalachain Trail and the Blue Ridge Parkway, YEEEHAR!!!
    "Hey, I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do!"-Bender Bending Rodriguez

I shared your excitment just reading about it.

Brings to mind my first girlfriend.........no we won't go there.

I think things like this are like your first bike, your first car, etc. They are a very memorable times in our lives.

Watching on TV last night they talked to NHL Hockey players and some had played in the league for ten and fifteen years and all remembered their very first goal. Vividly remembered it. Where, who it was against, who was in goal, everything.

This stuff makes life worth living.

Good luck and have fun with it. Share your first picture, however it turns out.

Michael MCBlane

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    [quote="veriwide"] an emotional journey

All journeys should have intense emotions. Sadly, only a few actually do. I share your quest for the grail, but every time I think I hold it I discover another grail. To savor life we must never be content, but we must never confuse the acquisition of material things with contentment. Hopefully, standing on a high ridge line with your Deardorff at your side and plenty of film holders at the ready, a symphony of sky and Beethoven conducting the clouds, you will feel the power and the serenity that capturing a personal image brings. You will know that being there with your camera is far better than just being there. Then, just as everthing is perfect, you open the shutter and think, "S--t, this would look so much better in 11x14"
    Best of luck. Enjoy. May you become one with a truly fine camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can relate. I first lusted after the Mamiya 6, then it became the 7. I plotted and planned for years how to scrape the money together. It wasn't until my daugther got married and moved away that I had the extra to afford the camera. I had a friend of mine pick it up for me in Hong Kong. I paid about 1/3 for it that it would normally cost here. I had the advantage of him trying it out before he sent it to make sure that everything was fine. I had the tracking numbers of the package when it was enroute. I would bring it up almost hourly waiting for it to arrive. When it finnally got here, I sat on my bed and just stared at the box. I opened it so slowly and reverently. I still have that shipping box.

Enjoy and go forth my son and capture beauty.
    Non Digital Diva

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    As Keats so rightly said, a thing of beauty is a joy forever.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin