Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,566   Posts: 1,573,468   Online: 776

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Do Graflex rollbacks detach from the 4x5 board?

I was cruising the bay when I found this image;

It looks like the roll film is detachable/comes off of the 4x5 board. Does it detach? If it does, would it fit a 2x3 press camera with a Graflock?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There may have been an adapter board to allow one to use a 2x3" Graflok rollfilm holder on a 4x5" Graflok back, but it would have to have Graflok slides on it, so that wouldn't be it. A normal 4x5" Graflok back is 4x5" only, but the inserts should be interchangeable with 2x3" Graflok backs, so if you had a 6x9cm 220 back, say for a 4x5" and a 6x9cm 120 back for 2x3", you could probably switch the inserts and shoot 120 or 220 on either camera. I do that with my Linhof rollfilm backs.

Inserts would not be interchangeable, however, among different rollfilm backs, so you couldn't use a 6x6 insert in a 6x9 back or vice versa, because the format mask is part of the shell, and it has to match the format of the insert that winds the film.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What David said. Another thing to mention (perhaps it should be obvious but wasn't to me) is that the dark slide for a 4x5 roll back isn't the same as the one for a 2x3. You can use a regular 2-sided holder dark slide in a 2x3 roll film holder but it would be too short in the 4x5 one. I made a 4x5 dark slide from a 2-sided slide using tin snips and an exacto. Useful to know this since you can sometimes find one on that auction site cheaper minus the slide.

But, yes, the inserts are interchangeable. If you're looking for one of these, try to find one of the RH ones (with the lever, not the knob such as the 22 or 23) since those should (but not always?) have the pin rollers which help maintain film flatness.

Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    it doesn't look like it detaches from the back plate.
    some people use a saw and cut them down,
    but you might be better off going to places
    like pacific rim camera or equinoxphotographc
    to find the small roll film backs ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    but you might be better off going to places
    like pacific rim camera or equinoxphotographc
    to find the small roll film backs ...
    EASmithV, please read this abain but delete the "might be" and replace with "will". Just getting a 2x3 back is going to be much less hassle than trying to cut a 4x5 to fit and if you shop well it will cost you less in the long run... unless your time is absolutely worthless. I have heard of 4x5 backs cut to fit a 3x4 but not cut to fit a 2x3... but remember, I haven't heard everything there is to hear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    EASmithV, please read this abain but delete the "might be" and replace with "will". Just getting a 2x3 back is going to be much less hassle than trying to cut a 4x5 to fit and if you shop well it will cost you less in the long run... unless your time is absolutely worthless. I have heard of 4x5 backs cut to fit a 3x4 but not cut to fit a 2x3... but remember, I haven't heard everything there is to hear.
    I mainly want it for putting on a 2x3, fitting the 4x5 would have been a bonus.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are luck, then. The 2x3 ones tend to be cheaper. KEH has been the best source for me for Graflex rollfilm backs. They price them very reasonably compared to the rest of their stuff. You always pay a premium for 6x9 over 6x7 or 6x6, though. I got lucky and got a like-new Horseman 2x3 one included with my Revolving Back Adapter for my Sinar.

One thing that would give you what you want would be a 4x5 to 2x3 Graflok reduction back. This would allow you to purchase the 2x3 models and use them on your 2x3 camera, and would also allow you to mount the same backs to a 4x5 if desired.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 08-11-2009 at 03:33 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added the bit about the reduction back
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You shouldn't have to pay more than around $35-40 for a 2x3 back (at least, that's what I charged for the two I sold here a few months ago). A 4x5 will go for a bit more. Same for a 3x4 one due to their relative scarcity.

My opinion is to avoid Pacific Rim Camera - I find their stuff to be rediculously overpriced and if the price seems reasonable the item is probably in lousy shape.

Which back are you looking for - 6x6, 6x7 or 6x9?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin