Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,958   Online: 785

Thread: Getting started

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Getting started

Hi everybody,

Well, as mentioned in my introductionary mail, I am very new in LF 4x5 photography and I am spending hours reading this forum and the one we have here in France (www.galerie-photo.com) both are very informative but i must say I am sometimes very confused especially with speed/depth settings
    I own an Arca Swiss F line classic 171x171, which i think is a quite nice camera, with an APO 150/5.6 and a 300/9 Nikon lenses. I miss a WA lens though but this will have to wait for a while that money comes back in

I am more interested into color and landscape and architecture things.

Anyway, the best would be to find somedody willing to show me the basic tricks, watching him in order to learn but I can't find people proposing that, nor can find workshops in Paris neighborhood... LF is not that common apparently in France compare to the US

Anyway, first comments after few attempts:
    - I messed up bad when loading the film holders but that's quite common the first times
    - I've tried some shootings that were not that bad (i am too kind with myself): right focussing, the front tilts worked ok and nicely detailed (i love it) but colors looked very pale to me and i don't understand why (Fuji Pro 160S sent to a well known Paris lab). When i look to some of your pictures, altough of course you all are pros and well experienced, i don't know how this can be so luminescent... I am sure i do not understand the settings (light measurement/speed/etc...)

Would appreciate your help/advices in the getting started phase.

Thanks!

YOP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hey yop,

i'm not in paris, but the basics of 4x5 are very simple...

unfortunately, I'm not in the place financially right now(college student) to be able to hop on a plane to come teach you though

check out these videos on loading film holders. they're pretty good

this is part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikOI1...eature=related
    part 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcjgK...eature=related

and this one is talking about scheimpflug(plane of focus)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR4m7...eature=related

in regards to a wide angle for your 4x5, check out the 90mm lenses, I personally favor the super angulon's. and because you're usually going to stop the lens down past f/11 or f/16 most of the time, you can get away with a 90 f/8.
    these lenses can be had for a small amount of money. if you can afford them, the 5.6 lenses usually have a little larger circle.

your film: 160s is a lower contrast/saturation film. if you're looking for some more pop, but something that is available in 4x5, try the Portra 160vc(vivid color). I like to rate it @100, so it keeps your shadows open a bit.

otherwise, if you're more interested in learning the exposure, movements thing quickly, get yourself a fuji 4x5 back (pa-45), and some film. Remember, this will cause your wallet a little shock up front, but in the end, its worth it IMO for a beginner in LF like yourself.

nice choice on the 4x5 Arca though. they're very nice cameras

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    and welcome to the forum!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks Dan,

Well noted for the tips and the advice on the lens. I'll check that out. Concerning the Fuji back, I heard abt that but people told me that there were no films anymore available that production was discontinued... it is also very difficult to find this around here but will try that anyway.
    Thanks for the camera, it's what i read everywhere though people say that 171x171 is not that nice compare to the latest ones. I had a good deal from a german collector who wanted to sell some of his material

Yann

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yann,

did you ask for a demo on Galerie-Photo ? There are many nice guys on the forum, and there are meetings from time to time.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If as you say "I am sure i do not understand the settings (light measurement/speed/etc...)", then perhaps you need to read up about the basics of exposure? Basically, shutter speed and lens aperture work together to control the amount of light the film "sees". If you open the aperture one stop, say from f 5.6 to f 8, then you double the amount of light, and if you close it one stop then you halve the amount of light. So if you open the aperture one stop, then to give the film the same amount of light, you would need to halve the shutter speed, etc, etc, etc.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Merci Laurent,

I'd tried but that was just before holiday season thus, not very easy to organize anyhting and a very busy schedule at work on my side. you are right, i will ask again and as I will be on Holidays in september I sure will have more time to do that

A bientot! BTW. may I ask where do you live??

A+
    Yann

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Yann,

did you ask for a demo on Galerie-Photo ? There are many nice guys on the forum, and there are meetings from time to time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look around for a copy of Steve Simon's book, "Using the View Camera". Written in English and lots of copies about. No idea how Amazon.com might work out for you in France but do your best...
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin