Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,285   Posts: 1,535,079   Online: 1136

Should any body has experience with this lense?
    I am using 4x5 now, and plan to migrate to 5x7. Does this lens have sufficient coverage?

How about its quality, with compare to modern lenses, eg. Apo-Ronar etc.
    Best wishes,
    Marcel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't have the lens, but references give the image circle as 270 mm. The 5x7 needs about 210 mm so it should cover with some movement. Commercial Ektars are Tessar type lenses and sharpness and quality control on the glass is considered excellent. If you have problems, I would suspect they would be from a well-used Ilex shutter.

Image quality is likely to be a little less contrasty than modern lenses, and it is single coated rather than multicoated if that makes a difference (it wouldn't to me). I don't really consider an Apo-Ronar to be a modern lens even though they were manufacturered recently; the design is old.

Steve

Does G-claron rather faverable?
    Best wishes,
    Marcel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The G-Claron is an f/9 plasmat process lens. It has more coverage than the Commercial Ektar. It is also single coated. According to Schneider, the G-Claron needs to be used at f/22 or smaller at longer distances. I'd probably choose the G-Claron for the coverage, because it will use standard filters, and has a smaller modern shutter. The 210 G-Claron is mounted in a Copal 1 (if it is in a shutter) and the 8-1/4 Commercial Ektar is in an Ilex 3 IIRC.

Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have this exact lens in a No. 3 Acme Synchor shutter. It is a cracker of a lens and yes it does cover 5x7.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeK
    I have this exact lens in a No. 3 Acme Synchor shutter. It is a cracker of a lens and yes it does cover 5x7.

Mike
    I also had this lens, but only used it for 4x5. Mine was an earlier version, that was very very sharp. I sold it on ebay -- I didn't use it much -- and have regreted it ever since. I got around 270.00usd for it, yet I think it was as sharp a modern lens.

Some links of interest:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...c-experts.html
    http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/cameras/ektar_list.html
    http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses5x7.html

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin