Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,911   Posts: 1,521,594   Online: 850

Shooter
    Medium Format

Toyo or Horseman 4x5 View

I've been happily and successfully using my Zone VI 4x5 for many years now, but I find myself doing an increasing amount of architectural work. I need a view camera with the calibrated and more precise movement. Looking at THAT auction site seems that used Toyo or Horseman would fit the bill. Any comments or recommendations?

Thanks a lot.

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    When you say architectural work, what lenses do you have in mind? How much shift?
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    When you say architectural work, what lenses do you have in mind? How much shift?
    Just finished a shoot of a long, two story building yesterday and, using the 90mm fairly close I could have used more movements to use a larger aperture or, more to the point a faster shutter speed. I also worry that the field camera doesn't lock down as tightly as a view. There's always a little movement when
    I put the film holder in and withdraw the darkslide, and I often wonder whether it really settles back to the original position. Because of that I close down an additional stop just in case.

Bob H

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most monorails will give you significantly more movement than a field camera. Both Horseman and Toyo make quality stuff. Odds are you can find something local to check out. Craigslist, ebay, or you could simply start calling commercial studios in your area. Many have an equipment room full of view camera stuff that's no longer being used.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks - good idea Peter. I know very little about the Horseman or Toyo and just wanted to make sure that they're not garbage. The Sinar are probably the best in this category but I can't go there. I'm sure I'll continue to use the Zone VI for most of my personal location work, but a view camera would make things a little easier for the architectural stuff and probably for the studio 4x5 work.

Appreciate it.

Bob H

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Bob,

Sinars, especially Ps, P2s, and F2s, are great cameras. You can get them for surprisingly little these days. For location work, an F2 would be great. That said, both Horseman and Toyo make quality stuff. I own a Toyo field camera, and at one time I owned a Horseman monorail. (The studio where I used to work has quite a few Horsemans.) One thing about Horsemans: lensboards and bellows are interchangeable with Sinar.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks again Peter - appreciate the input. BTW - looked at your website.....VERY nice stuff there.

Bob H

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin