Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,050   Posts: 1,561,103   Online: 888

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Today I fell in Love :-D

Good job the wife just left to work abroad for 2 weeks.

more seriously I was in Greece earleir to day (as you do) and saw the most wonderful, graceful, delicate and desirable . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . English Triple Extension Whole-plate Camera, in the window of a 1 hr photo-shop/studio, so I stopped, looked, drooled, and entually back. Unfortunately it's not for sale !!!

The shop is run by a family who have been involved in professional photography for 3 or 4 generations, they run with the times the studio is digital, but they respect film.

When the lens (fitted to a Thornton Pickard shutter) was shown, I instantly said that's a Cooke, before looking closely, the quality of the brass finish and aura just said so, and it was very indistinct in the window .

Unfortunately the shop became busy so talking further wasn't a practical or fair option. However later in the afternoon during the long siesta a man stopped me and grasped my Yashicamat, saying please let me look, and we talked Rolleiflex's, Linhofs etc, he turned out to be another of the shops owners, he waxed lyrical about Ilford films.

I don't want their camera, but once funds allow will llook for something similar, and I will try and make further contact with the owners of the camera, but I need to show my true credentials and at least have a wood & brass camera with me

Ian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Great, just give the address and I'll pick it up tomorrow!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I know your feeling, Ian !

I have 2 full plate camera's to restore for my self in the next few month, one has a Cooke lens on it.

And tomorrow I will pick up some brazilian hard wood for one (or more) 4x5" field camera's that will be "brass-ed".

Life can be so beautifull when you are in love.......................

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Peter, I have two of the finest US made 10x8 ever built, and they are superb, Ansel Adams & Brett Weston used the same,but compared to a British camera they are heavy and cumbersome

I just really want those Cooke lenses

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    All over Greece you will find old cameras, quite often large format wooden boxes with a brass lens and most often without bellows at various states of condition. They are as you have found out not for sale as probably the owners have a certain sentimental attachment to them or they are seen as impressive window props.
    I find it very sad and hope that somebody I will be able to persuade some to let them go and be put to work again in the hands of a another photographer. I can't even begin to imagine what kind of masterpieces gather dust and mold in attics and closets as every family has kept their "obsolete" film cameras as family heirlooms.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ian,

The GAS is rising! Your are powerless to stop it. You cannot resist the Force!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Ian,

The GAS is rising! Your are powerless to stop it. You cannot resist the Force!

Steve
    Well, there is one thing that I Found it goes well for treating GAS.
    Having no budget!
    It's a bit painful, but it works.
    I have enough for a rolleiflex, but, I haven't gotten everything from the OM to upgrade, and if I did. I couldn't buy film!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    oh, the pain....! I feel your pain Ian.

I fell in love a while back....didn't have the money, waited...saved....rationalized...and finally bought (8x10 Deardorff) and now, I have to suffer while it travels across this broad continent....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prest_400 View Post
    Having no budget!
    I have enough for a rolleiflex, but, I haven't gotten everything from the OM to upgrade, and if I did. I couldn't buy film!
    That never stop my GAS. I purchase it anyway. Ahhh ... the advantage of not having a higher power!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prest_400 View Post
    Having no budget!
    Yes, I to have found that to be a very effective method of controling GAS. Infact I have found it to work so well that it can reverse the past effects of GAS. I have now rid my self of one very minty Yashica A, and a rather nice Mamiya C330 "Pro" with a couple of lens. Yep, works like a charm :rolleyes:.
    Last edited by jasonhall; 08-18-2009 at 11:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin