Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,560   Posts: 1,545,259   Online: 817

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Rollex back (6.5cm x 9cm) problem

Hi,

I have a Rollex back for a KW Etui I just purcashed. The problem I have is this: when I am winding the film it reaches the point where the backing alone finishes and the film moves across the pressure plate and around the edge of the holder onto the take-up reel. It feels very tight, and I've torn the film twice loading it as the thickness of the tape + film + backing seems to be a real squeeze.

Once the film begins to move onto the take-up spool, that is, once the tape has passed over the edge of the plate, it's fine. It spools smoothly.

I'd rather not have to begin winding on with the back very slightly open [to give more clearance] and thus lose the first frame, or have to load it in a changing bag. Any suggestions for something I might be doing wrong, or tips on tweaking the back?

Thanks

matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It may be designed for 620 film not 120, some were It could foul the edge of the pressure plate while the spool is starting but will ease once started. Modern 120 films will just fit into some 620 camera's/rollfilm holders.

I have two Rollex holders and the one that fit's my Etui is fine with 120 film. I can send you a scan of the 1935 BJP - Thorsch & Co advert for the Kamera Workstätten "Patent Etui" if you'd like it.

Which model of camera/lens ?

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That makes sense, that it might be designed for 620. The previous owner seems to have put a couple of thin card spacers between the reel and the spring-loaded clips that hold it, so that'd make sense. It does seem to ease a bit once started. I opened the back a fraction just to ease the take-up reel away from the base and then wound it on to frame 2. I'm fairly sure that's done it. Shame if I need to lose that first frame, though.

The scan would be nice, thanks!

This one is a 6x9 KW Patent Etui. It has the 105mm 4.5 Tessar lens, and the longer bellows, so it'll close-focus down to a couple of centimetres. It also has rise and fall. I've not had a chance to develop any film yet, but the shutter speeds seem very good, even the 1 sec speed seems close enough to me. I can't spot any light leaks, although the developed film will be the test.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin