Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,845   Online: 755

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Using a 90mm lens on my 4x5

So, I got this nice Nikkor-SW lens with a 4x5 Crown a while back. Seems sort of a waste to use this lens that can cover 5x7 on a 4x5 with no movements. I tried mounting it on my GV-II but couldn't focus the lens at any reasonable distance. And, even if I had, I suspect that large rear element would have hit the bellows if I tried for any movements. What do I need to do to make this lens usable (the only other LF camera I have is a 5x7 B&J)?

Thanks,
    Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails !BTMerSQB2k~$(KGrHgoOKiUEjlLmV5L+BKHJ!W1-Tg~~_3.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might manage a bit with a recessed lens board on a 90mm lens. I have a 105 on my 4x5 that gives very little movement on a standard board, but a reasonable range of movements on a recessed board.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Same idea here.
    I have had a 75mm SA on a recessed board with the Linhof Master Technika and it worked good.
    I kept the lens (and board) when I sold the Master and will be using the 75mm on a Shen Hao HZX-IIA and PTB45 soon.
    For wide angles and field camera's this is the only way to go.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi dan

i used to use a 90mm lens on my gvII all the time.
    if you want to use it on THAT camera you need a recessed board.
    you put the front standard all the way to the end of the rail,
    and then move the rear standard pretty close to it, until you get an image
    on the glass ... you shouldn't have any problem.
    you put the front standard way-up so the end of the rail won't be in the image ..

the recessed boards for your GVII look like this

it will work on your crown as well, the front standard needs to be in the "box" and the bed down ( so it isn't in the image )

good luck!
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin