Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,754   Online: 803

Shooter
    Medium Format

Super Angulon 165/8: Do I need a center filter?

I'll do a bit of movements (front rise) -- do I need the (expensive) center filter?

The topic should say 165/8 of course!
    Last edited by jrydberg; 08-21-2009 at 06:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    And BTW, what filter system should I use for this lens?

Should I try to get rear-filters, or get some holder for square filters to put infront of the lens?

Shooter
    Large Format
    According to my Sinar literature from the 70’s when I bought this lens, there is no need for the center filter. My 8x10 color trannies - when I used to shoot color - showed no problems at the edges at infinity focus. As for filters, I bought a bunch of 4x4 gels as well as Series IX glass filters before their prices went into orbit. For this lens I found that I had to use the gels in front. I’ve never used filters in the rear, but as you probably already know, rear filters should be gels anyway as the thickness of glass MAY introduce some loss of image quality (compared to gels). Looking at my lens it appears that 3x3’s would be too small for behind the lens. So you may as well go with 4x4 gels for either location. Here is a rear gel holder that may work for this lens, but check it for fit:

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/XB6560/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Why did you have to use front gels?

Thanks for you reply!

Shooter
    Large Format
    The Series IX glass filters are not large enough to cover the front element without vignetting. I use the glass filters for other smaller lenses because they are more durable than gels. I use the gels only when necessary in order to preserve them since they are so delicate. I take VERY good care of the gels, considering their current price tags.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin