Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,317   Posts: 1,536,753   Online: 1035

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Finding focal length of old lens

Hi,

Hopefully somebody can help me with this.......

I have a 1/2 plate camera called 'The International' made by Lancaster & Son of Birmingham, of about 1886 vintage. The brass lens is wonderful & has excellent optics!

I would just like to know what the actual focal length is and/or how to work this out, e.g.- 6 inch??

Written on the lens is - "J. Lancaster & son, Birmingham, 1/1 pl patent, Rectigraf". The F stops are F/1 - F32

The lens is 2 inches diameter, by 3 inches in (total) length.

Thanks,

Marcus
    Last edited by Marcus; 08-22-2009 at 03:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Find the Sun Not easy in the UK

Focus the sun on some paper, measure the distance from approX the middle of the lens (glass elements ) to the paper, that's the Focal length

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the reply.
    The lens has lenses at both ends with aperture ring in middle/centre. Does this change the calculations? Or do you mean the actual centre of the length of the lens?

Marcus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take the camera outside and focus on a distant object (you are trying to focus it at infinity). The distance from the front of the lens board to the inside of the ground glass should be the focal length of the lens.

Ken

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by KenFretz View Post
    Take the camera outside and focus on a distant object (you are trying to focus it at infinity). The distance from the front of the lens board to the inside of the ground glass should be the focal length of the lens.

Ken
    So, when I have the camera open with full bellows extended (it being a draw-back camera), basically it is the length of the full bellows extention from lens board to ground glass?

Marcus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    So, when I have the camera open with full bellows extended (it being a draw-back camera), basically it is the length of the full bellows extention from lens board to ground glass?

Marcus
    No- focussed at infinity will require minimum bellows draw- then measure as Ken said. If you had the bellows fully extended you would be focussing at something near, i.e. close to if not at or beyond 1:1 (macro/close-up)
    If only we could pull out our brains and use only our eyes. P. Picasso

http://www.timbowlesphotography.com

Go to JBrunner's site...he has a wonderful explication of how to find the focal length of any lens.

I'd take the lens in a darkened room with a window opposite a plain, preferrably white wall. Point the lens (make sure it is wide open) towards the window and when you can focus an image (upside down) of whatever is outside clearly on the wall, measure the distance between the lens and the wall. This will also give you an idea of the image circle the lens can cover.

It works for me!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo10ca View Post
    No- focussed at infinity will require minimum bellows draw- then measure as Ken said. If you had the bellows fully extended you would be focussing at something near, i.e. close to if not at or beyond 1:1 (macro/close-up)
    Ah, I get it now......!! Thanks. Will try it tomorrow when the big yellow disc in the sky returns!

Marcus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    Go to JBrunner's site...he has a wonderful explication of how to find the focal length of any lens.
    What's the web address? Marcus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin