Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,161   Online: 900

Thread: Need film info

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Need film info

I am a new member here. I am getting back into large format after an absence of 4-5 years. (I was getting fat carrying around a digital SLR . I have a couple of questions.. mostly about current films.

I have a Cambo 4x5 w/ 2 lenses... Caltar II-E 210mm, Caltar II-N 90mm. I have a Pentax spot meter that someone had modified by "Zone VI Studios". I did mostly landscapes, generally with color positive film. After commercial processing I scanned into photoshop for dust spotting and color corrections with a Canon D123OU 1200dpi scanner.

A lot of the work I was doing was just before sunrise or just after sunset. I am very particular about color reproduction... I never liked the color response of my digital Canon EOS 10D in low light.. maybe that is just me.

Five years ago I used
    Kodak 160NC
    160VC
    E100SW Ektachrome

Fujifilm 160NPS
    Astia 100 Daylight
    Provia 100F

Are these films still available? What other films are out there? What would you all recommend for low light outdoor photography?

I am now a long drive from my film supplier and lab in Portland, Oregon.. I have seen film on Calumet's web site. I am concerned about maintaining temperature while shipping.. I also will need a lab.

Also I am thinking about doing some B&W.. Again what films are out there? What would be considered a minimum filter set for outdoor work,,,

Thanks

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Christoper View Post
    I am a new member here. I am getting back into large format after an absence of 4-5 years. (I was getting fat carrying around a digital SLR . I have a couple of questions.. mostly about current films.

I have a Cambo 4x5 w/ 2 lenses... Caltar II-E 210mm, Caltar II-N 90mm. I have a Pentax spot meter that someone had modified by "Zone VI Studios". I did mostly landscapes, generally with color positive film. After commercial processing I scanned into photoshop for dust spotting and color corrections with a Canon D123OU 1200dpi scanner.

A lot of the work I was doing was just before sunrise or just after sunset. I am very particular about color reproduction... I never liked the color response of my digital Canon EOS 10D in low light.. maybe that is just me.

Five years ago I used
    Kodak 160NC
    160VC
    E100SW Ektachrome

Fujifilm 160NPS
    Astia 100 Daylight
    Provia 100F

Are these films still available? What other films are out there? What would you all recommend for low light outdoor photography?

I am now a long drive from my film supplier and lab in Portland, Oregon.. I have seen film on Calumet's web site. I am concerned about maintaining temperature while shipping.. I also will need a lab.

Also I am thinking about doing some B&W.. Again what films are out there? What would be considered a minimum filter set for outdoor work,,,

Thanks
    Welcome (again) on the great world of film! And on APUG, too.

Of the films you list. Only Ektachrome has changed. They did some emulsion changes a pair of years ago, I heard. 100G is the "all round" ektachrome.
    There's the new Provia 400X introduced a year or two ago, I've only heard positive reviews, the worst is that it's expensive (at least for my student budget). Everyone says it's a great slide film for it's speed.
    On B&W there's the Ilfords, Fuji and Kodak, that has improved Tmax, there's the a new Tmax 400 introduced in 2007 (or improved in 2008). PX and TriX have been a little modified, that was in 2005.
    For low light, the B&W high speed films (delta 3200, TMZ, Neopan 1600) and the pushed B&W (TriX and HP5+). On color Neg there are NPZ800 (they wanted to discontinue it, but it's still alive), Portra 800 and superia 1600. On slide, Provia 400X.
    I've been on film just a year (a bit less) so I don't really know what products were here before that time. Announcements, and people talk is all I know about films before 2008.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks

All my 4x5 work was done with ASA100 or 160... generally exposures of about 1 second. Windy days were murder, anything that moved in the wind blured.. having a faster film would be great, ... I guess I was under the impression that "Film is Dead"....and that it would be hard to get 4x5. I am glad I am was mistaken.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Christoper View Post
    Thanks

All my 4x5 work was done with ASA100 or 160... generally exposures of about 1 second. Windy days were murder, anything that moved in the wind blured.. having a faster film would be great, ... I guess I was under the impression that "Film is Dead"....and that it would be hard to get 4x5. I am glad I am was mistaken.
    For what I see, 4x5 is not hard to get. Specially B&W.
    If you need faster film, I believe portra 400 is made in sheet film. The fastest slide film availiable in 4x5 is Ektachrome E200.
    Maco/Rollei were thinking about implementing a new color negative film (old agfa 800ISO) in sheetfilm too.
    I'm even impressed that I know that much of the market :o Heck, I haven't tried about 95% of all films available. I Need to shoot more

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin