Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,578   Online: 808

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    There are lots of Crown and Speed Graphics out there, but I prefer the Super Graphic and Super Speed Graphic. The Super and Super Speed were made more recently, and built from metal instead of wood. They also have a larger range of movements than the old Crowns and Speeds. The prices for the Super and Super Speed are roughly the same as with the older model cameras. They are worth considering.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't dream of discouraging anyone else's GAS, so I mention this as a complement to the LF discussion rather than as an alternative solution: I've found that an accessory rangefinder is a HUGE upgrade to a scale-focussing MF folder, especially in terms of sharpness, and they can be found quite inexpensively or made at home with a little effort. So I'd encourage the OP to try that out and see what the effect on the negatives from the folding cameras is.

The answer may be "not enough", especially if the folders have lower-end lenses, but it does seem like the cheapest and easiest thing to try while waiting for the right LF camera to come along.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Given a chance I'd swap my Speed or Crown Graphic for a Super Speed/Super Graphic. The lack of movements with the older Pacemaker Graphics is somewhat frustrating at times particularly in portrait mode.

Another good alternative is a British MPP MkVII but these seem to be fetching more than they are raelly worth these days, and some people are trying to sell Graphics at equally high prices. Super Speed/Super Graphics are a lot less common but if you can find one a lot more versatile, there's also the Toyo version.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    THIS is the one that got me thinking about the whole thing. I saw it on but then I was too busy to buy it. Considering it came with a Zeiss tessar lens and 5 film holders, I figured you couldn't really go wrong.

What do you give up in terms of movements with a camera like this?

Are "field cameras" the kind that fold up into a box? Monorails have more movements but are harder to transport etc?

Is a crown graphic like a Speed graphic but without the focal plane shutter?
    With that lens it might be a 3 1/4 x 4 1/4. If it is a 2 1/4 3 1/4, you might get a roll film holder for it; but why bother.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin