Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,270   Online: 757

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Camera

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Mystery Camera

I recently bought an 8x10 camera on craigslist. The woman who sold it to me said that her husband had bought it at an auction and there are no markings on the camera itself. The lens is a Kodak and the body is wood.

I have a tiny bit of experience with 4x5 but it's been a few years and it was a Speed Graphic. I'm brand new to all of this.

It's more curiosity than anything. It would be nice to know the specs on it if the information is available somewhere.

Does anyone have a guess?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8775web.jpg   IMG_8779web.jpg   IMG_8780web.jpg  
    Last edited by jolynned; 08-26-2009 at 11:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    ~Jodi~

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    This camera can be found with either Ansco or B&J labels on it. A serviceable camera although heavy and bulky.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Jim. Unfortunately, there are no labels anywhere on the camera. It looks like had been a label at the top but it has been removed. I'll look at your suggestions though and see if any of their cameras match up to this one.
    ~Jodi~

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It is a good looking camera, do you have any filmholders with it ?
    And a tripod for it ?

If the bellows is light-tight: make some shots with it and see what comes out!

Congrad's !

Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Jim, you were right. It's a B&J. A quick google image search was all it took. Thanks for the help!
    ~Jodi~

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Peter, I have 14 film holders, a bellows extender thingy and what I believe is a 4x5 back for it as well, along with 4x5 film holders. The camera was checked out by someone who knew LF before she sold it and I guess he said the bellows were light-tight.

The tripod I have is for MF but can hold up to 25 lbs. I don't know if it can handle the 8x10. I guess we'll just have to see.

Thanks!
    ~Jodi~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Be sure you have a good strong tripod. I believe that Ed Weston said that there are no good photographs to take that are more than 200 yard [meters] from a car. If someone can find the source for the quotation please let us know!

Enjoy!
    Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Once the US Government seized Agfa Ansco in 1941 they stopped all camera production at Bingham, after that the cameras were made elsewhere the hardware changed, it was a different workshop and probably not the same employees.

It's murky but B&J ended up with their LF camera production that's why this particular camera was made with both names.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Be sure you have a good strong tripod. I believe that Ed Weston said that there are no good photographs to take that are more than 200 yard [meters] from a car. If someone can find the source for the quotation please let us know!

Enjoy!
    Steve
    You know... I think that might be an Ansel Adams quote.

Cognrats, Jodie... looks like a fun new toy! Hope you'll share some pix!

Shooter
    Large Format
    I think it was Brett Weston and he was speaking of 8x10 cameras and larger. And I also think the number was 10 feet from the car.

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin