Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,358   Online: 1116

Shooter
    Multi Format

Speed Graphic & other equiment advice, please

I have an older friend who is trying to lighten his load as he moves into a retirement community. He was a journalist who occasionally took pictures. Below is the listing of his gear. My guess from knowing him is that it is in very good shape (I haven't seen the stuff, I know him from church - he was also clergy at one time.) He is looking for a fair price, but doesn't know what that would be.
    Can ya'll help?

4x5 Speed Graphic
    f/4.7 Graflex Optar lens, with hood
    Cooke 15-inch telephoto lens (with lens board and lens hood)
    2 4x5 cut film holders
    Film pack adapter
    Polaroid back
    Flash gun with 5-inch and 7-inch reflectors
    Solanoid shutter trip
    Graflex vulcanoid carrying case

Also, not really this forum, but -
    Kodak Carousel 750H Projector
    Ektanar 4”-6” zoom lens, f/3.5
    Stack loader
    Carrying case
    Leitz Valoy II Enlarger
    EL-Nikkor 50mm lens
    Canon AE-1
    Canon FD lens (50mm, f/1.8)
    Promaster 200mm, f/3.3 lens
    Vivitar 24mm, f/2.8 lens
    Vivitar auto thysistor 280 flash
    Assorted filters, close-up filters
    Kodak Tourister II
    105mm, f/4.5 lens, 1/200 shutter
    Argus C-3
    With leather carrying case.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You might also try the Graflex board http://graflex.org/helpboard/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look at completed auctions on ebay for similar gear, also KEH, Adorama, and perhaps B&H prices, especially KEH. Be honest, possibly even pessimistic about condition. Keep in mind that the shop prices are all retail, and wholesale prices (what you get if you sell to one of those shops) will be 1/2 or less of the retail price.
    As has been noted many times in here, KEH is pretty conservative about their cosmetic grading. So for their grading most anything that has obvious signs of use would probably end up as their "bargain" (BGN) grade.
    People are giving away projectors, so it's value is pretty much zero, unless you find someone who really needs it.
    3rd party lenses (the promaster, and Vivitar) don't do so well either, but have some value. There is certainly a market for the Graflex kit, the enlarger and El-Nikkor and the Canon.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by George Collier View Post
    Can ya'll help?

4x5 Speed Graphic
    f/4.7 Graflex Optar lens, with hood
    Cooke 15-inch telephoto lens (with lens board and lens hood)
    2 4x5 cut film holders
    Film pack adapter
    Polaroid back
    Flash gun with 5-inch and 7-inch reflectors
    Solanoid shutter trip
    Graflex vulcanoid carrying case
    As far as a fair price is concerned....much will depend upon the age of the Speed Graphic and its condition and more specifically, what kind of back it has (whether Graflex, spring or Graflock).

As an example: a late model speed with a graflock back in good condition with a good working FP shutter and a between lens shutter that is also working can easily fetch $300 ~ $500 (the high end is a stretch for exceptionally clean kit that had been recently service with many desirable features and accessories). An older model with a spring back might still fetch a good sum if in good condition. Perhaps even as much as $300 or more. It all depends. If it has a Graflex back...well, my personal opinion is that you'd have to find the right buyer...few people really want those. The one that sell , I think sell to buyers who haven't a clue...and then end up disappointed. Personally, if the camera is missing the range finder or view finder or the focusing panel or hood, it is worth much less. Lots of other things are passable as minor or insignificant defects.

Sell the Cooke lens separately. It may be worth as much or more than the rest of this stuff. I really don't know without seeing it.

Throw the film pack adapter away. It is useless.

Quote Originally Posted by George Collier View Post
    Canon AE-1
    Canon FD lens (50mm, f/1.8)
    Promaster 200mm, f/3.3 lens
    Vivitar 24mm, f/2.8 lens
    Vivitar auto thysistor 280 flash
    Assorted filters, close-up filters
    If all this stuff really is in excellent condition, expect less than $100 on a good day for the lot of this 35mm gear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What Brad said re: the Speed Graphic. I paid $500 for my Pacemaker kit, which had the Ektar instead of the Optar, a case, flash, solenoid, and all the goodies. I paid high because it was in as close to mint condition as I have ever seen one.

If it is a Pacemaker, I am interested in the whole kit, especially if it is a bit of a "user". I want one that is in worse shape than my own. I do need a working rangefinder, however.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, guys, for the info.

2F2F - I'll pm you if he wants to follow up with you.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin