Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,985   Posts: 1,523,934   Online: 937

Shooter
    35mm

150 mm lens questions

I'm looking to buy a 150mm "regular" lens for my field camera. What is a reasonable price range to look for in a used lens, and, would I be able to mount it in a lens board myself, or is this a job better left to a qualified camera tech?

Thanks to all who reply.

With best regards,

Stephen S. Mack

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very easy to mount on a lens board, just make sure that whatever you buy has it's retaining ring.

You van pay around $150 - $200 for a gold modern Rodenstock Sironar or Schneider Symmar, you shouldn't need to spend more, Nikon's & Fujinon's are also good.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mounting the lens isn't hard, assuming the lens has it's mounting ring, as Ian says. The bigger problem is making the hole in the lensboard if you don't have the tools.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You need the right tools and be sure the hole is centered and the correct size. If you are not prepared or there is no convenient camera repair service available, look for a machine shop - it should be easy for them and not expensive.

Wooden lens board or metal? Retaining ring or flange? Pre-drilled lens board or will you bore your own hole?

Mounting a lens with a retaining ring on a predrilled wooden board is easiest. If the lens mounts with a flange, you'll need to screw on the flange---still an easy job. Having to drill a hole is the next hardest, especially if it is a metal board.The hardest job would be riveting a flange on a metal lensboard IMHO.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    if you can find a computar symmetrigon get it
    it won't cost more or less than the well known brands.
    they have a pretty big image circle ...
    the guy that used to own mine, allegedly had it on sinar 8x10 ..

have fun!
    john
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Caltar IIN -- 150mm/5.6. Great lens, low priced.

Computar Symmetrigon is a nice lens. I had the 210mm/6.3 for 4x5 and 5x7. Sharp as a razor, great contrast. But it would not cover 8x10 well, and I doubt a 150mm would come close to covering 8x10, except for close-ups.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Images
    Good Afternoon, Steve,

Ditto to what Vaughn has said about the Caltar.

Konical

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Fujinon 150mm for me. Cheaper than the 2 big brands and I think a touch warmer. Keep an eye out for the ones with the writing on the side of the barrel, rather than inside the ring (i.e. the newer ones).

Mind you, you will be very, very hard pressed to tell the difference between any reasonably modern (coated/multi-coated) lens from the big 4 in my opinion!

Given you refer to this as a "regular" lens for your camera, it's obvious that you're talking about 4x5, so don't worry too much about this talk of covering 8x10. You're looking at several thousand dollars for a 150mm to cover 8x10, rather than several hundred for 4x5.

Lachlan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just call Jim at Midwest Photo or have a look at KEH. Both should also have the proper lens board for your camera. Any modern lens (made in the last 30 years) will be of excellant quality, of course the newer the better, just get one in very,very good condition as you probably will have it for a very long time.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin