Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,769   Posts: 1,484,208   Online: 846

Thread: Enlarger lenses

Shooter
    35mm

Enlarger lenses

I just bought a speed graphic but I don't have a lens and I probably won't for some time until the meager camear budget recovers. I do have a Fujinon 75mm and some other 135mm enlarging lenses. I'm not sure, but I think they should work, but there is probably some way in which they are suboptimal. Is there anything different about enlarger lenses that makes them worse for using on cameras? If so what is it?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Try them. That is the only way to find out. You can make a lens board out of cardboard. My favorite home-made lens board is made from the box that Kodak sheet film came in. Get a lens mounted and check to see what image you get on the ground glass.

If the 75mm, for example, only covers part of the ground glass, you may decide to use it for special effects.

That's the cool thing about Speed Graphics, you don't even have to use a lens cap for a shutter. That is what I used to do with my old Linhof 5x7. I adjusted my exposures to be about 30 seconds and used the lens cap.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you buy an older plate cameras that handles 9x12, you can borrow the lens/shutter from that for use with the Speed Graphic. It's very close to 4x5, and it should cover that format.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Enlarger lenses are designed for optimal performance at close distances to the easel, where ordinary camera lenses are not so well optimized. In fact, enlarger lenses are normally made to perform best within a certain range of enlargement, such as 'up to 20x'

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I just bought a speed graphic but I don't have a lens and I probably won't for some time until the meager camear budget recovers. I do have a Fujinon 75mm and some other 135mm enlarging lenses. I'm not sure, but I think they should work, but there is probably some way in which they are suboptimal. Is there anything different about enlarger lenses that makes them worse for using on cameras? If so what is it?
    Use one of the 135s. Stopped down a coupla stops you should get great results. Don't be afraid to break the rules.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a fujinon 150 enlarging lens that looks like 10 miles of bad road (scratches, dings, scuffs) and gives surprisingly good results shot at f16. Try the 135, you might be surprised.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Schneider sell Componon's as Macro lenses and I've used the cells of a 135 in a Copal 0 shutter.

They will work but their cell spacing is optimised for close working, but try one as Anscojohn says, stop down & you might be pleasantly surprised.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm noticing that enlarger lenses don't stop down terrible far. That might be a bit annoying not to have f/45 or smaller apertures.
    f/22 and be there.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin