Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,557   Posts: 1,573,289   Online: 935

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinholemaster View Post
    Get a compendium for your camera / lens system.......
    I agree. Several manufacturers make a compendium, and its pretty easy to adapt to different cameras. Or you could easily make one.

A compendium shade allows you to adjust it for camera movements, something a fixed hood cannot do.

I use my compendium frequently, and I do notice a difference.

After creating one-too-many shots with part of a darkslide intruding into the negative, I bought a Lee lens shade for my 4x5 kit. It has saved my a** on many occasions, and even can be adapted to my Hasselblad and 35mm systems. A darkslide works fine in a pinch, but rememember, flare-causing light can come from any direction. A compendium shade is much better at shielding the lens.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is another recommendation by a well known photographer (I can't remember who at the moment) who says he always drapes the focusing cloth over the entire camera, creating a "tunnel" from the back to the front, and far enough in front of the lens to create a hood for the lens. It also protects against possible light leaks in the bellows.
    I've done this, and the one caution is if you use a bag bellows (which I do much of the time), you have to be careful you don't push the top of the bellows down into the light path between the lens and the film. Very effective as a hood, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pgomena View Post
    After creating one-too-many shots with part of a darkslide intruding into the negative, I bought a Lee lens shade for my 4x5 kit.
    Is the Lee big enough for that lens?

I'm not sure if the Lee is big enough for that particular lens. I do have a Lee 82mm adapter to fit one of my lenses, though, so it's pretty big. Not sure if they make a bigger one.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use the lens for portraits so using the darkslide isn't an option. I have compendium for Hasselblad and my Linhof TK45 and it's great if you have different lenses but for 8x10 I use the 360mm for most of time so it would be faster and easier to have a sturdy lens hood and a good protection for the front lens. I think the 360 Schneider uses 122mm filters so it's a hugh lens

FWIW here is something I made for 7 x 17. This was made around a series 9 filter holder. It will fit over a 3-3/8 diameter.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...t=phil+sweeney

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Heliopan sells 122x1 aluminium lens hoods (normal or tele).
    Philippe Grunchec

"The fundamental problem any artist faces in regard to craft is that it must be largely ignored" Richard Benson.

http://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Make your own with mat board, tape and some velcro on the lensboard to hold it in place when shooting. Otherwise a greycard or film holder slide will work well enough, as others have pointed out already.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin