Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,883   Online: 956

View Poll Results: For UNEXPOSED film, do you orient the darkslide:

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • With the white side out

83 87.37%
  • With the dark side out

12 12.63%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Darkslide Convention

...am I the only one who saw this in the google feed and was goofy enough to wonder where and when they were going to hold the convention?

Celac

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    White = ready for light. Dark = ready for darkroom.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    May I suggest a third option?

As you can see from this thread, the white/black tag difference sucks as a way to distinguish exposed from unexposed...

I guess I am not the only one to have mixed up my holders exposed / unexposed status every once in a while and ruined a film sheet by double exposure... :o The white or black tag just isn't obvious enough as a warning to reveal the exposed status.

All my holders darkslides currently have a very clear fluorescent red / yellow striped warning tag on the site that I consider "exposed", much like the stripes on police or ambulance cars...

It sure helped me in avoiding ruining sheets of film

Marco
    Last edited by Marco B; 09-01-2009 at 02:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All ways used black as exposed white as unexposed. like lefty looseey, righty tighty.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    White for unexposed is the norm. I also mark the film type on the memo area of the holder in pencil and erase it when the holder is empty, so that I always know which holders are loaded and with what.

Normal filmholders are designed to be light tight when the darkslide is removed completely. The exceptions would be Grafmatic and Kinematic holders that hold 6 and 10 sheets in a stack respectively, where you should pull the darkslide and push it back in behind the septum on top of the stack (it does this automatically) before making the exposure to avoid fogging the other sheets in the stack. After the exposure you pull out the entire film drawer, the top septum drops to the bottom of the stack, and push the drawer back in so the darkslide will again be in the safe position on top of the stack, and you can remove the filmholder from the camera.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I pull the darkslide all the way out (the back of the camera I keep covered by the dark cloth) and often I'll use the slide as a makeshift sun shade.

When loading holders, I'll back the dark slide out 1/3 or so and flip the flap and drive 'er home, locking the ell before flipping over and repeating the loding sequence on the other side. If by chance I get the film in the wrong groove (the one for the darkslide) it becomes evident when the film balks at loading because the darkslide is in the way. This is bette than being ready to shoot and pulling the dark slide only to have a sheet of film launch into the wild blue yonder.
    As someone who is also just starting out in LF (and spent 30 minutes over the weekend been giggled at by my wife and mother as I struggled with my hands and arms in one of those Calumet changing tent things loading 7 darkslides!) this info is priceless to a newbie like me. Thanks.
    White on the outside when film unexposed for me.
    regards,

Tony

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    White side out, and when exposed, black side out with the addition of a little sticky label recording shutter/aperture...

White side out - Loaded & ready to use.
    Black side + label - Exposed.
    Black side out - Empty.
    White side + label - Someone screwed up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have one more variation - because I sometimes I load and unload on the road in motel room bathrooms, etc.

I have notched the flip out part of the film holder in a code ala is outlined in Way Beyond Monochrome, and other sources. I permanently with a Sharpie marker have the film holder numbered on the corner of the white write on tab as well, with the number corresponding to the decade square notch, five;s half circle and v notch ones. Then I can unload mid trip, and sort the film into empty film boxes that I have labelled as n-1, n+1 and n. If it is in need of deevlopment other than these options it stays in its holder until I get back to my darkroom. In this manner I can tie my exposure n ites back to the film after it has been separated from the film holder

I do not always reload right away. I keep all my holders in individual ziplock freezer bags, which can be bought in a size that the holder fits into just right.
    Yes, they are slippery, but they do a good job of keeping the dust down to a minimum.

When a film holder is empty I put it with black side of slide out, but upside down in the zip lock bag.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Once, in a fit of "rationality" I decided that I would buck convention and use white as exposed and black as unexposed. Let's just say it wasn't my best idea.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've always thought about it like this: if the dark side is out, it either needs to be unloaded or loaded in the darkroom.

- Randy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin