Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,927   Posts: 1,585,170   Online: 791

View Poll Results: For UNEXPOSED film, do you orient the darkslide:

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • With the white side out

83 87.37%
  • With the dark side out

12 12.63%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I pull the darkslide all the way out (the back of the camera I keep covered by the dark cloth) and often I'll use the slide as a makeshift sun shade.

When loading holders, I'll back the dark slide out 1/3 or so and flip the flap and drive 'er home, locking the ell before flipping over and repeating the loding sequence on the other side. If by chance I get the film in the wrong groove (the one for the darkslide) it becomes evident when the film balks at loading because the darkslide is in the way. This is bette than being ready to shoot and pulling the dark slide only to have a sheet of film launch into the wild blue yonder.
    what HE said ...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Same as John -- though when loading, the reason I draw the darkslide only a third of the way out is to reduce the chance of beard hairs from falling onto the film in the holder!:o

My darkslide orientation is remembered by -- "The film gets darker when exposed." -- thus black = exposed.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by reellis67 View Post
    I've always thought about it like this: if the dark side is out, it either needs to be unloaded or loaded in the darkroom.

- Randy
    Using your advice, I tried opening the filmloader that had the white side out, out of the darkroom. still ruined the film.:rolleyes:
    Just joking, we all know that they have to be unloaded or loaded in the darkroom white or dark side out.
    But my mind thinks that white means light has been at it and when I tried to be conventional I screwed up over and over. When I accepted I was different, I stopped screwing up. No one else touches my darkslide.
    Regards
    Bill
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I simplified my life greatly... not only do I adhere to the white-side-out-for-fresh-film convention, I went through every holder and wrote, in permanent marker, on the righthand corner of the white or silver strip, the word "FRESH" - - so I know that it has been freshly loaded and is ready for exposure. If I don't see the word "fresh" then I don't shoot it. Don't like the word "FRESH" then pick another - - but why remember something you can look at and read directly?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    White side out with the little locks NOT LOCKED = empty holder.
    White side out with the little locks LOCKED = loaded holder film not exposed.
    Black side out with the little locks LOCKED = loaded holder film exposed.

That is what I use.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    Using your advice, I tried opening the filmloader that had the white side out, out of the darkroom. still ruined the film.:rolleyes:
    Just joking, we all know that they have to be unloaded or loaded in the darkroom white or dark side out.
    But my mind thinks that white means light has been at it and when I tried to be conventional I screwed up over and over. When I accepted I was different, I stopped screwing up. No one else touches my darkslide.
    Regards
    Bill

- R

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I refuse to be conventional!! I am a grumpy ol' fart who refuses to share my film holders with anyone else so it doesn't matter which damn way I chose to put the darkslide in the blasted film holder!!!

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wclavey View Post
    I simplified my life greatly... not only do I adhere to the white-side-out-for-fresh-film convention, I went through every holder and wrote, in permanent marker, on the righthand corner of the white or silver strip, the word "FRESH" - - so I know that it has been freshly loaded and is ready for exposure. If I don't see the word "fresh" then I don't shoot it. Don't like the word "FRESH" then pick another - - but why remember something you can look at and read directly?
    Me too. There is a long gray strip at the top of the pull-out darkslides on the Toyo holders. I have written the word "UNEXPOSED" at the left-hand end in permanent marker. On the smaller white strip on the film holder body, I have written the holder number (eg 6A, 6B) in permanent marker at the left-hand end. On the same white strip I can then write in pencil the type of film loaded. I use small plastic PostIt sticky notes (with the white tops) for making exposure notes and sticking on the holder after exposure.
    I don't rely on the metal locking wires. I have now adopted the rubber-band method I read about on APUG recently.
    Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    white side out for not exposed.

i keep ALL my loaded holders in giant zip lock bags. so i always know any holder in the bag has film in it. i read the tabs to know if it exposed or not.
    photoshop is somewhere you go to buy photo equipment.

lens photos here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    White side out, unexposed film inside.

Black side out, either exposed film or empty. Either way, not usable for picture taking.

If I'm loading and run out of film, I leave the slide on the empty's partly out, then turn it over (black side out) when the lights go on.
    On the rare occasions I accumulate exposed holders waiting for processing I keep them separate from the empty holders.
    I never remember which side has the bumps, so I don't rely on those. If there is any reason to doubt whether a holder has film, a quick shake will tell you, make sure to hook a finger over the dark slides though.

However, if someone would come up with an automatic turner-over for insuring the slide is switched after an exposure, he would be doing a great service. IMO at least

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin