Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,864   Posts: 1,583,198   Online: 822

View Poll Results: For UNEXPOSED film, do you orient the darkslide:

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • With the white side out

83 87.37%
  • With the dark side out

12 12.63%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Darkslide convention

For unexposed film in film holders, do you put the black side of the darkslide out or the white side?

I don't suppose it matters which way you go, but if there is a consensus or a most-popular convention I might as well follow it.

Also, is it ok to pull the darkslide all the way out, or should you leave it sticking in the film holder?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The norm is to put the white side out for exposed. But it only matters because it's good form to follow the standard. It's less confusing. I leave the DS in the end just in case the seal isn't perfect. Just don't leave it in too far or you'll block some of the exposure.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i was taught white/silver side out for unexposed, black for exposed, some of my slides have braile marks helpful for fideling around in the dark braile marks correspond to white/silver

I pull the darkslide all the way out (the back of the camera I keep covered by the dark cloth) and often I'll use the slide as a makeshift sun shade.

When loading holders, I'll back the dark slide out 1/3 or so and flip the flap and drive 'er home, locking the ell before flipping over and repeating the loding sequence on the other side. If by chance I get the film in the wrong groove (the one for the darkslide) it becomes evident when the film balks at loading because the darkslide is in the way. This is bette than being ready to shoot and pulling the dark slide only to have a sheet of film launch into the wild blue yonder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The white side unexposed convention is actually critical in some cases. In the days when photographers used assistants, sometimes free lancing between a few photographers, it was very important that this regime was adhered too.

Sometimes even today I might have someone helping, and it's better that they hand me a darkslide (UK term for film holder) that hasn't been already exposed, and the simplicity of white/silver unexposed and Black exposed is easy even for a non photographer to grasp immediately.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    white/silver unexposed and Black exposed is easy even for a non photographer to grasp immediately.
    Funny you mentioned this because I figured if there was a convention, surely it must be the other way round...I mean, black is dark, so when the film is still unexposed the dark side should be out. After the film has received light, the light side should face out. That's the way I saw it anyway.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you get tanned in the sun or get lighter skinned Think - Film & Paper start creamy off white and light & developer produces a dark (well range of tones) image. POP darkens naturally. Logic

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dang... I did this wrong for years. Now I'll have to learn to reverse my procedure. Sorry for the misinformation!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Also the white side of some darkslides/sheaths is designed so you can write the film type on it with a china-graph pencil (or similar). This is important while out shooting, but once exposed when you unload the notch code can be used to determine what the film is.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    the convention is and always has been white/silver side facing out when film is UNEXPOSED. This side also has the bumps so you can get it right way round when loading the film holder in the dark!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin