Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,309   Online: 1087

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I just got a speed graphic, and I have a couple of questions. I don't think the rangefinder works so I'll probably take it off. The FP shutter seems to work fine.

First of all I have no lensboard. What kind of lensboards fit this camera, and can I make one?

Second, I found backward tilt, rise, and shift, but no swing, fall, or forward tilt. Can I flip the front around to get forward tilt?

There is a little lever on the right side below the FP shutter tripper lever. What's it do?

The normal shutter's cable seems like it would be too stiff to operate even if I did have a lens. Is it ok to oil it?
    Congratulations, it will soon become one of your favorites!

Search around for the service manuals, you can find the way to fix the rangefinder. It's not hard.

I often take a single piece of cardboard, paint the back black, and make it slightly larger than the hole in the front standard. It is held in by the lensboard sliders, and actually works. Not pretty, but it works, and if done right does not leak light.. You can also get lensboards off of ebay, depending on the model you have.

The lensboards, have no groove in them they held in strictly by the sliders on the front.

As said before, dropping the front allows you to do the other movements you desire.

That little lever engages a governor that changes the shutter speeds. Look in the little window with the speed in it (if it's a Pacemaker) and push the lever, and you will see a mask slide over to display a different set of numbers. This allows you to change between the high and low speeds (1/500 vs 1/1000)
    Last edited by EASmithV; 09-02-2009 at 11:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    SK Grimes (an APUG sponsor) sells Speed Graphic boards. From what I've seen their price is about what most successful bidders end up paying on ebay and you don't have to go through the hassle of bidding and waiting for an auction to end.

Shooter
    35mm
    Search around for the service manuals, you can find the way to fix the rangefinder. It's not hard.
    I already removed it. Saved 230grams/.6lb! I have an accessory rangefinder I figure I can use if I need to.

I see that there's some kind of distance markings on the rails and the front standard, but I don't know how they are calibrated yet or how to interpret them. Maybe I'm used to distance scales being drawn around a circle.

I had to google how to get the dang thing open.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I already removed it. Saved 230grams/.6lb! I have an accessory rangefinder I figure I can use if I need to.

I see that there's some kind of distance markings on the rails and the front standard, but I don't know how they are calibrated yet or how to interpret them. Maybe I'm used to distance scales being drawn around a circle.

I had to google how to get the dang thing open.
    Depending, the vernier focus scales work slightly differently. Check the graflex web site to see how yours works.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Great! I made a lensboard out of cardboard that looks like it will work fine. I loaded up my single film holder with some Foma 200 just now. I might have time to make my first proper 4x5 negatives tomorrow. I'm using my enlarger lens but the subjects I want to shoot right now are all closeups anyway.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I already removed it. Saved 230grams/.6lb!

Ouch!

Do yourself and the next owner a favor and put all of the parts in a zip lock bag and save them!

Or send them to me! I'll pay you for 'em!

Please do not loose this stuff...nobody's making it any more!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ouch!

Do yourself and the next owner a favor and put all of the parts in a zip lock bag and save them!
    What he said
    Real men use Speed Graphics and flashbulbs.

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh, I did put it all in a ziplock bag, I didn't throw it away. I figured someone on here or eBay might want it.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can renovate the Rangefinder, I keep meaning to do mine it just needs the half silvered glass replacing. The Kalart Rangefinders can be adjust to suit various lenses, if it's a Meyer it's dedicated to one focal length. The manual for calibrating etc can be downloaded.

When I bought my first Graphic it had a 135mm Tessar I just assumed the rangefinder was faulty, but by chance checked it last year and found that it's accurate with the 150mm modern coated Tessar I'm now using.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Mine didn't even seem to be doing anything. How are you supposed to use it; do you look down into it from above or into the hole visible from behind?
    f/22 and be there.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin