Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,085   Online: 1222

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Polaroid mp3 view camera

I'm on vacation and noticed that my parents have this very strange looking polaroid camera. It says something like "mp3 industrial view camera". I can't find anything about it online because all searches for mp3 and camera bring up other things. I originally brought it home from when I was cleaning out the physics department during my college job and couldn't stand to throw it away. I didn't know what it was and still don't really.

Also, it has a tominon 127mm lens in a copal shutter. Is this a decent lens and does it cover 4x5? I'd start using it right now but I can't test it for coverage.
    Last edited by BetterSense; 09-05-2009 at 08:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think it is a copy camera.... I once got an Mp something and took it apart for various parts. The lens is decent.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Multi purpose industrial camera. It had a sliding back for polaroid film packs or 4X5 film holders. No movements other than focus. I have one that was used for copy work and to shoot ID photos. I cut the Polaroid part of the slider off and hard mounted the 4X5 part to the camera. The 127mm lens is not bad and I found a second lens board and use it for pinhole images. The camera is built like a tank and has a lot of potential. Mine had also been used to teach LF photography to several people. That way they only need to worry about composing and focusing. It stops them from jumping into all of the movements too soon.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    keith is right
    the mp3 is a copy camera
    and yes the 127 tominon will cover a
    4x5 sheet of film with no problems ...
    it was the lens that came loaded on my speedgraphic
    when i bought it .. and the only lens i used for a long time ...

have fun!
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    35mm
    The 127mm Tominon lens and #1 Copal shutter are keepers. Find a camera to put them on.

Good shooting neighbor!

Shooter
    35mm
    I stole the lens and shutter for my speed graphic. The shutter is a bit weird because it has no cocking lever or release trigger either. It seems to only work with a cable release, and then it works like a double-action revolver...pressing the cable release both cocks and fires the shutter. The problem I have is my shutter release doesn't seem to stick out far enough to trip the shutter. It works fine if you stick a paperclip in there, though. Then again my shutter release isn't the best. Do you need a special cable release for these things?

Lots of people on the tubes claim the lens won't cover 4x5 at infinity. I guess we'll see. The only other lens I have is an enlarger lens with no shutter so this should be a good upgrade if it covers the film.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I stole the lens and shutter for my speed graphic. The shutter is a bit weird because it has no cocking lever or release trigger either. It seems to only work with a cable release, and then it works like a double-action revolver...pressing the cable release both cocks and fires the shutter. The problem I have is my shutter release doesn't seem to stick out far enough to trip the shutter. It works fine if you stick a paperclip in there, though. Then again my shutter release isn't the best. Do you need a special cable release for these things?

Lots of people on the tubes claim the lens won't cover 4x5 at infinity. I guess we'll see. The only other lens I have is an enlarger lens with no shutter so this should be a good upgrade if it covers the film.
    I assume that is the same set up we had on a Polaroid MP4 copy camera which used 4x5 sheet film. My understanding is the Tominon is a Tessar-formula. And, yes, it will definitely cover 4x5.

After all, that was the focal-length used on many Speedies for press work. Actually correct for 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 but they worked ok on the 4x5s we used in college--of course, they were Ektars and Zeiss Optars. But the slightly greater depth of field was considered a plus. Don't recall any problems at infinity; but of, course, press work was rarely terribly critical.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The 127 Tominon covers at infinity sharply to the corners... but just barely straight on. It's a good lens as long as you don't need shifts or any front movements. Rear swing and tilt are okay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i always read ( and am told ) that the 127 tominon covers sharply at infinity and barely straight on
    and the one i have covers edge to edge opened up as well, and i have never had
    a problem with movements ( i use it on a view camera as well as a speed graphic ).

mike1234, do you have one of these lenses?
    i will look through my scanned archive to find samples
    besides the one i already posted ....

if you have examples of "barely covering" &C can you post them ?

john
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    John,

Yes I have at least one of these but I'll have to take some tests with it to confirm. If you've experienced better coverage I'll take your word for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin