Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,112   Online: 1035

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

When it rains....

Sheesh! Up until a couple of weeks ago, I had pretty much successfully limited myself to 4x5. Oh, sure, there was that year long affair with the 5x7 B&J or two...but, I was content with 4x5....until a couple of weeks ago that is....

So, I bought an 8x10 Deardorff...just because...well, becasue I always thought they were cool...I couldn't afford it and I certainly did not need it...but there it was...so I bought it.

Then, a few days later, an BIG old Century Studio camera in pieces appeared on my doorstep. It was all taken apart and...dusty! It had suffered some twenty years or more in an attic and the last three years in a V.W. microbus!

Now, I've just "Won" an 8x10 Kodak D2 outfit! I swear...I bid early, I bid low...and still...I won!

When it rains, it pours.

placed an order for 8x10 film with Freestyle on Friday....what am I to do?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    placed an order for 8x10 film with Freestyle on Friday....what am I to do?
    Well, you load the film into 8x10 holders, you shoot it, you develop it.... :rolleyes:

So what lenses do you have for 8x10?
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So much for takin' it easy, huh? Sell a Brownie to make up for it.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Your doomed... DOOMED, I say!!

Shooter
    35mm
    I see the occasional ugly as sin 8x10 camera cheap. Same for holders. X-ray film is sinfully cheap. I own a tripod and head that will suffice for 8x10. I have a Jobo print tank and Harrison tent to handle the developing.

The major stumbling block would seem to be a lens. Forget the plural of lens with regards to 8x10. There are the occasional 210mm to 250mm beauties with equally dear prices. 12" to 14" classics. Not cheap. What are the bargain grade lenses suitable for 8x10?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Some of the best bargains for 8x10, IMHO are the process lenses. They are big and bulky but also very good and with more than ample coverage. I also have recently had luck with some very nice early century bausch & lomb anastigmats. I scored one recently that was on a 8x10 poco field camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    That might be the most economical way to "ease" in to 8x10: find a bargain camera+obscure lens combination.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    And then always lurking on the new horizon is: 7x17, 8x20, 12x20, 20x24. Should you just buy lenses, tripod and "things", that will work on the 8x10, or should you face the inevitable and buy lens that will cover larger, tripods that will carry heavier? You can always say, “oh I won't go there”. Or, “I am just buying the bigger lens for movement or the bigger tripod to stop movement”. What ever the ploy, be prepared, because they are out there waiting.

A willing victim,

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    And then always lurking on the new horizon is: 7x17, 8x20, 12x20, 20x24. Should you just buy lenses, tripod and "things", that will work on the 8x10, or should you face the inevitable and buy lens that will cover larger, tripods that will carry heavier? You can always say, “oh I won't go there”. Or, “I am just buying the bigger lens for movement or the bigger tripod to stop movement”. What ever the ploy, be prepared, because they are out there waiting.

A willing victim,

John Powers
    True. The obsession tends to progress along the following cycle, roughly:

(1) I have a very nice 4x5 camera, let me get a lens for it.

(2) Oh here is a lens that covers 8x10... let's buy it...

CHORUS: Oh what a shame to waste all that coverage....

(3) ... so I'll buy an 8x10...

(4) I should get a lens that covers 8x10 well. Wait, here's one that covers 11x14...

REPEAT CHORUS...

(5) I really should get an 11x14 worthy of that coverage... yes, why not, the film is actually cheaper per unit area and I can quit enlarging...

(6) I hear that there are lenses that can cover 20x24....

REPEAT CHORUS...

...etc. ad nauseum...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Well, you load the film into 8x10 holders, you shoot it, you develop it.... :rolleyes:

So what lenses do you have for 8x10?

well, the Century studio camera that the former keeper dumped on me came with an unloved Goerz celor...which I'm actually looking forward to shooting.

The only lens I have that properly covers 8x10 is the 300mm f/8.5 Fujinon-C. I have a modern 210mm f/5.6 Fujinon-W too. It appears to cover straight on and so will probably press that into service from time to time as well. Really want to get a 14 inch Ektar but, that isn't in the cards now.

Hopefully, somebody will buy the Speed Graphic I have offered for sale and I can recover from the "eBay Ooops!"...and maybe even afford a bellows eventually

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin