Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,517   Online: 1051

Thread: Dallmeyer 2A

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Dallmeyer 2A

Hi All,

I came across a rather Dallmeyer 2A lens. I have not been able to come across alot of info on the beast. Beyond that I will admit, I know next to nothing about this monster, I am not sure whether I will keep it or get rid of it. But, if anybody has information on this thing it would be greatly appreciated. What I do know is it's 20.5cm(8.1in) long, 11.8cm(5 inches) in diameter, and it weighs 2120grams (4.6lbs). Its in good condition, the focusing knob is smooth, the glass is scratch free and there is no fungus or any other artifacts. There are no waterhouse stops or flange. Attached below are a couple of pictures.

Thanx!

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4a9a1378e0322.jpg   4a9a138d367b5.jpg   4a9a13c627040.jpg  
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You don't need it, just send it to me

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anton Lukoszevieze View Post
    You don't need it, just send it to me
    You are probably right, I don't need it! But, I want to play at least a little bit, especially if it swirls!

Gary

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Nice find! The Dallmeyer 2A Patent Portrait lens is a Petzval design intended primarily for portraits. There is a cemented doublet in front and two air-spaced elements in the rear. The marks on the brass ring of the rear element are positions the lens element can be unscrewed to achieve a psuedo soft focus effect. In older lenses, the two elements are usually frozen together and can't be unscrewed. This isn't a major loss because the soft focus effect isn't very good. The 2A is a 13.5" lens originally intended cover a 4"x6" plate. If you want to see extensive swirl, you should try it on whole plate or even 8x10. The image circle will be roughly equivalent to the focal length.

More info at: http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/...llmeyer_1.html

More info and you can date your lens at: http://antiquecameras.net/petzvallens.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    yes, it is very swirly wide open, when you a have tried it then send it to me

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the information. I am having a friend with a machine shop make a flange and I think I have an extra packard shutter lying around here somewhere. I will put it on 8x10 to begin with and see how well it works!

Thanks much!

Gary

Shooter
    Medium Format
    it will work wonderfully....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
    Nice find! The Dallmeyer 2A Patent Portrait lens is a Petzval design intended primarily for portraits. There is a cemented doublet in front and two air-spaced elements in the rear. The marks on the brass ring of the rear element are positions the lens element can be unscrewed to achieve a psuedo soft focus effect. In older lenses, the two elements are usually frozen together and can't be unscrewed. This isn't a major loss because the soft focus effect isn't very good. The 2A is a 13.5" lens originally intended cover a 4"x6" plate. If you want to see extensive swirl, you should try it on whole plate or even 8x10. The image circle will be roughly equivalent to the focal length.
    Hi Barry,

Thanks for the information. The rear elements on lens do unscrew! SO I guess I go lucky in that regard.

The lens didnt come with a flange, not any waterhouse stops. So I am going to either try to locate one or have SK Grimes make one before I can use the lens. I got lucky, the glass is completely scratch/fungus/seperation free.

Thanks!

Gary

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin