Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,509   Online: 920
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, MD., USA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    230

    Best cloth tape for film holders?

    I have a couple of dozen 5x7 holders in need of re-taping. Any suggestions on a specific tape and adhesive combination to use or avoid?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Montgomery, Il/USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,998
    Bookbinders tape works well. Not the stuff used inside but for taping the covers.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, MD., USA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Bookbinders tape works well. Not the stuff used inside but for taping the covers.
    That's great. Thank you very much.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York, NY
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    156
    I have a few 8x10 Holders in need of taping, Would it be a bad idea to use gaffers tape? Also are there any websites that have instructions on how to properly re-tape a filmholder?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Texas, USA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,885
    Don't use gaffer's tape. Use quality cloth tape.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    1,030
    Quote Originally Posted by BenZucker View Post
    I have a few 8x10 Holders in need of taping, Would it be a bad idea to use gaffers tape? Also are there any websites that have instructions on how to properly re-tape a filmholder?
    Ben, I use gaffer's tape with excellent results on my old 8x10 film holders. Of course that is the tape I have on hand. Cloth book binder's tape is probably a step up because it is made for "hinges." Gaffer's tape is a bit stiff for the application but eventually it loosens up enough to "hinge" quite well---until then you may have to use a finger to hold the hinge open while inserting the film because to will sometimes want to close on you.

    I haven't felt the neeed to add another photographic expense to my plate so I stick with gaffer's tape. I feel that the durability of gaffer's tape is equal to bookbinder's tape for this application although I have no proof to support it other than that I've got some holders I've re-taped 11 years ago and still function like down town.

    Some time ago in View Camera there was an article on retaping film holders by...Gordon Hutchings? I forget. Anyway I find it easier to measure the length of the piece of tape you'll need and carefully use an xacto knife to trim to fit.
    Last edited by John Kasaian; 09-07-2009 at 05:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  7. #7
    wildbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,376
    Images
    140
    While I can't find it on calumet's site, they do/did sell replacement tape in small rolls when Fidelity was still in business. I'd call their headquarters.
    Gaff tape will eventually dry out (in my climate) and leave nasty, powdery residue that's hard to clean off.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

    I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Mexico
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Ben, I use gaffer's tape with excellent results on my old 8x10 film holders. Of course that is the tape I have on hand. Cloth book binder's tape is probably a step up because it is made for "hinges." Gaffer's tape is a bit stiff for the application but eventually it loosens up enough to "hinge" quite well---until then you may have to use a finger to hold the hinge open while inserting the film because to will sometimes want to close on you.

    I haven't felt the neeed to add another photographic expense to my plate so I stick with gaffer's tape. I feel that the durability of gaffer's tape is equal to bookbinder's tape for this application although I have no proof to support it other than that I've got some holders I've re-taped 11 years ago and still function like down town.

    Some time ago in View Camera there was an article on retaping film holders by...Gordon Hutchings? I forget. Anyway I find it easier to measure the length of the piece of tape you'll need and carefully use an xacto knife to trim to fit.
    Thomas and Ben,

    Gaffer's tape is fine for Gaffers but not for film holders. University Products/Linco sells a book binding tape/spine repair tape that will work I have used it to do film holder re-taping.

    first, remove all the old tape, and any left-over glue. mark the tabs, keep them in place.

    second, clean the tabs and ends of the film holders, get all the old glue off.

    third, put a sheet of film in the holder on both sides, and replace the tabs.

    fourth, start the re-taping, you will have more tape than you need. Just wrap it from one side to the other then cut off the excess.

    Remember to use an exacto knife and a good straight edge to clean up your cuts. Burnish down the tape and reload with film and use. Make sure to check the tap/flap to see if it fits correctly.

    This is not rocket science, so good luck

    ps. to get the glue off, use a solvent that will not eat the plastic or wood, Ever-clear works just fine for me.

    Jan Pietrzak

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Texas, USA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,885
    Jan is right. For the cost of a roll of book binder's tape you can do the job right. Why not do it right?

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Central NC
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    While I can't find it on calumet's site, they do/did sell replacement tape in small rolls when Fidelity was still in business. I'd call their headquarters.
    Yes. Call Calumet's parts department in Chicago. Since Calumet owns the company that was Fidelity / Lisco / Rightway / ... they likely have hinge tape in stock still. In the correct widths no less.

    An alternative might be Toyo in Japan. Since they are still making film holders (so I hear) they might be willing to sell you some hinge tape. If you send them an email it might take a few days for them to reply. But they are a Japanese company -- they will reply.
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin