Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,011   Online: 707

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Entry level camera

I kind of like the portability of the view cameras rather than the rail ones. That being said, what are the options for an entry level camera between $400 and $600? (second hand) Wista, Yoko View 45A seems to be around there, ( a bit higher than that I think) but what could be other brands entry level models? I currently own a speed graphic, but it doesn't have frontal and rear movements.
    "Art is a lie that enables us to tell the truth" -Picasso
    http://www.jaimebermudez.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi

a new shen hao runs for about 650-675
    from all accounts they are a very nice camera ...
    a used one would not be nearly as expensive as a new one ...
    on eBlip the completed actions show they run between 400-550$

good luck!
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think you mean a field camera and not a view. A monorail is a view camera.

Even less then your budget would be the Agfa/Anscos. Heavy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    yes, I couldn't remember at the time of the post. I am more towards the flat bed, field camera than the monorail. I like monorails and they seem to go for cheaper but seem hard to carry around.

Very few Shen-Hao in the second hand market so far, found new ones for $650 but that's a bit to high without a lens for me.
    "Art is a lie that enables us to tell the truth" -Picasso
    http://www.jaimebermudez.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If you want a field wield with more or less mono rail movement the Shen Hao HZX45-IIA should be the camera for uou.
    Just be patient and keep looking for a used one or save for a new one.
    In the mean time you could be looking for a used 150mm Tessar or so.......

Peter

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I use a Tachihara 4x5. It is a very robust and light weight camera, and fun to shoot with. I too upgraded from a Graphic camera for all of your same reasons. I purchased mine new about 10 years ago for about $600. They are now in the $700 range, but a used one should be sought for a bit less.

You can use your lens from the Graphic camera as well, so you won't need to spend the extra $$ on optics for now. Just ask for the correct size board when ordering your camera.

Oh, I went through the trial and error process with older view cameras to save money. I tried an Agfa- wow way too heavy to backpack. A Seneca and a Korona wood field camera were also put through the paces. Less movements, and the 100+ years of use made these cameras (in my price range) not rigid enough for me.

steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I love my Tachihara. Highly recommend it. Only drawback is that the bellows only permit up to a 300mm lens. But that's plenty for most users. You can certainly find one for around 600 on the flea bay.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Shen Hao is a very solid camera for not much $. I like mine a lot.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another vote for the Shen Hao 45hzx II. I've had mine for over a decade now and although it doesn't see much use anymore (I've gone much bigger film-wise), I've gotten a LOT of use out of it and taken it all kinds of places. I'd sell mine but I'm planning to use it for doing wet plate in the field.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since you have the speed graphic, might consider a 5x7 field camera. Yes they do tend to be more $ than a 4x5, but if you shop around there are the Burke & James, Korona, Kodak-2D that will have backs you can change and shoot both 4x5 and 5x7. Plus the 5x7 makes great contact prints (not to mention it is a wonderful size).

Good advice already, but consider the 4x5/5x7 option they are really great.
    Mike C

Rambles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin