Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,569   Online: 1125

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting lenses

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Mounting lenses

So I'm lost.

Is there a write up or site that will guide me in mounting lenses on lens boards? I was trying to unmount my Ektar 127 from the Graflex board but I couldn't figure it out. I want to get a good normal lens for 8x10, but most come unmounted. I have plenty of lens boards, and can drill holes. But, when I get done, how do I mount the lens?!

I wanted to try the 127mm on the 8x10, but the Graflex board doesn't fit my D2. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I would make an adapter board using the front standard from a broken Graflex camera... cut a hole in a spare 8x10 board the same size as the hole in the Graflex piece (round or square is okay) then drill small holes through each corner of the sandwiched pieces and bolt them together with a bead of opaque black silicone between them. This will work best if the Graflex is a 4x5... the lens boards are bigger.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Hi, usually the old ektar lens/shutter is screwed into a flange that is mounted to the lensboard with three screws. Often you can just unscrew the shutter from the flange, but not if there is a index pin protruding from the back of the shutter. If the shutter won' unscrew, you would remove the screws holding the flange in place and rotate the flange to free the lens. Of course, your particular ektar may be mounted in a different way.

A modern lens is held on with a retaining ring instead of a flange. See skgrimes.com for more info.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hope you have a wide-field Ektar otherwise I don't see how it's going to cover 8x10.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Oh, I don't care about coverage. I just want to test this camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're just looking to test out the camera, the easiest thing to do (assuming you don't have a drilled board for the 8x10) would be to cut a piece of mat board to fit the 8x10. Make a hole in the center big enough for the end of the lens, then tape the graflex board lens and all to the mat board over the hole. Use gaffers tape or black electrical tape.
    It won't be pretty, but for testing, it doesn't need to be.
    Thin plywood (AKA Baltic Birch or Finnnish plywood) such as found in hobby stores works well too. It's not opaque though, so if you want to make a picture you'll need to paint it black.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Good deal! I never thought of that. I'll do that tomorrow! Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    I hope you have a wide-field Ektar otherwise I don't see how it's going to cover 8x10.
    I have a 152mm Ektar, and it's not wide field or anything, but it almost covers;

www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That pic is AMAZING!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thank you!
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin