Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,452   Posts: 1,570,284   Online: 1107

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries

Anybody from Scotland?

There is a small chance I may be spending some months in Scotland next year. Any large-format enthusiasts from the Edinburgh area? Any suggestions for interesting photos?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Tom,

I'm a former LFer. I live in SW Scotland but work in Edinburgh (I also lived in Edinburgh for a couple of years). I suppose I need to ask the usual question - what sort of photographs do you like to take?

There are plenty of interesting subjects in and around Edinburgh - Scottish Parliament, the Castle, the Royal Mile, the old town, the new town, Calton Hill, Arthurs Seat etc
    There is also the Forth rail bridge at South Queensferry which is just outside the centre of town and can be reached by bus. If you have transport there are lots of outlying towns and villages that are worth a visit - North Berwick, Gullane, Eyemouth and St Abbs to name a few. A couple of castles out of town that are worth a look are Tantallon and Linlithgow.

Cheers
    Simon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Tom,

There's lots to photograph in the Edinburgh area. The bridges (Forth Bridge and the road bridge), the city itself (the castle, the palaces, Arthur's Seat, Calton Hill etc). Then when you leave the city, you have Inverkeithing, South Queensferry, North Queensferry, Leith, Portobello then round to the Bass Rock etc.

Subjects to shoot are easy in Edinburgh, the hard thing will be to get the right light!!

Regards,
    Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I live in Edinburgh but am a medium format shooter.

The city is very photogenic, lots of interesting places, and a wonderful skyline too. Salisbury Crags and Arthurs Seat are great too - a miniature mountain in the city. And for me, the city looks at it's best on a heavy windy day, with racing dark clouds and beautiful bursts of light...

Cheers,
    Gavin

PS - have a look at Mark Denton's catalogue, he's got lots of edinburgh photos http://www.markdentonphotographic.co.uk/catalogue.htm
    Last edited by coigach; 09-10-2009 at 03:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mpirie View Post

Subjects to shoot are easy in Edinburgh, the hard thing will be to get the right light!!
    What's wrong with the light?

I have an interest in people and their association to the landscape. So I could do portraits and landscapes and perhaps landscapes showing the influence of people on the land.

My impression about LF is that more people in the UK are interested in it than here in the US...is there any truth to this?

Oh yeah, and Albert Watson is from Scotland, I believe...any body have him on speed dial? LOL!

Thanks for the info so far folks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Nutter View Post
    What's wrong with the light?

I have an interest in people and their association to the landscape. So I could do portraits and landscapes and perhaps landscapes showing the influence of people on the land.

My impression about LF is that more people in the UK are interested in it than here in the US...is there any truth to this?

Thanks for the info so far folks!
    Its usually obscured by the rain (!)

The castle is well worth doing even when its pouring down. The other suggestions are also good depending on what you're after for shots
    Also depending on dates, you have the fringe festival as well. Worth doing for street shots with something a little out of the ordinary.
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here are a few colour panoramics by Mark Denton for info:
    http://www.markdentonphotographic.co...burgh-book.htm

Hope this gives you an idea of what the city looks like!

Cheers,
    Gavin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The abbeys. Jedburgh and Melrose are closeby to the south and well worth your attention.

I didn't take my LF or MF gear, so I shot with Nikons and very wide lenses and I got some great shots. I think you'd have to be dead, however, not to find some interesting angles with a large-format camera.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    The abbeys. Jedburgh and Melrose are closeby to the south and well worth your attention.

I didn't take my LF or MF gear, so I shot with Nikons and very wide lenses and I got some great shots. I think you'd have to be dead, however, not to find some interesting angles with a large-format camera.
    Sounds like I might have to replace that wide lens I sold a while back.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Tom,

Ah yes, the old "going on a trip so need more kit!" approach.....works every time.

The light can be a bit hit or miss, as with most of the UK, not just Scotland.

I'm sure Albert Watson lives in the US, though I may be wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin