Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,751   Online: 893

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Question about "f22 and be there..."

So in two weeks, I will be shooting my cousins wedding. Now of course, she has a regular photographer that will do the regular stuff... But she likes a bit of the old fashioned. I told her I would bring my Speed Graphic and I might even ware a trench coat and hat.

So, I will be shooting indoors in a restaurant. I'm shooting HP5+, and I have number of #25B and #11 bulbs. Now, since I wasn't alive in the 50's, what is the best way to set up the camera so that I can use the rangefinder or wire guide.

I am very comfortable with judging distance, so perhaps setting the rail at 10' is good enough? Also, just to double check, when focusing using the scale, I should set the mark above infinity and 100 to whatever I want (like 10?)?

Thanks!
    - J. Richard
    4x5 Speed Graphic, Looking for another 8x10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    First thing is to find out the hyperfocal distance of your lens at the various apertures. In fact, if you were a ~1950s press photographer with a speed or crown graphic, your camera might well be locked at that distance for f/8 or f/11 or such! Or at least those distances would be clearly marked on the bed...

Hp5+ will be fine, thought you really may want more speed, especially if you plan to stop down as much as f/22. Not knowing your light, I am guessing that f/22 just won't be possible unless you're up at ISO 1600 at least.... (unless you don't mind the deer-in-the-headlights, crime-scene-photo look from flash totally overpowering th ambient!) Why don't you go there and hand meter the light ahead of time. I bet you will want ISO 1600 and f/8 or such.

By the way, there is the fuji fp3000b 4x5 instant film, lots of fun that. It really is a 3000-speed product and the images are smooth and lovely. Other than that you may find you want a rollfilm back with neopan 1600 or delta 3200 or such. Anyway the fuji stuff is great fun with a press camera and you can actually enlarge the prints substantially if you rephotograph or scan them.

So... offhand I don't think ISO 400 is going to cut it. I have pushed hp to 800 and it's totally fine, but in that case I typically rate it at 640 and develop for 800.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You know, that was my initial thought. Reading about shooting at f22 with iso250 or whatever they had just didn't make sense.

I have been reading about the instant 3000b from fuji, but I don't have anything that will hold that currently. I do have a Kodak film pack holder, but, that's useless.
    I have no problem pushing the HP5+ to 1600. I like the idea of f8 too... I wonder how much depth I'll have with f8. Maybe I'll just use the rangefinder...
    - J. Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnRichard View Post
    ...and I might even ware a trench coat and hat.
    Thanks!
    If you wear a hat and want to make it look real authentic, get one with a hat band and stick one of those "Press" cards under the hat band so it sticks up for all to see. You'll look like such a hack!

Denis K

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What lens is it, a 127 or 135? If so you will be amazed how much DOF you can get even at f/8 or f/11 if you are at the hyperfocal distance. But f/22- fahgedaboudit!

For the fuji stuff you'd need a PA45 back, they are quite inexpensive on the used market.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I once worked for a guy who said he would fire us if we took the camera off f/11.
    The Nr. 11 bulbs probably shall not be a problem--I think they are very big, long-peak bulbs; but be sure to check to make sure your solenoid delay is right. If it were me, I would adjust it to the equivalent of "X" synch using a strobe rather than bulbs; then the Nr. 25 bulbs should be o.k. at, say, 1/25 second.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    What lens is it, a 127 or 135? If so you will be amazed how much DOF you can get even at f/8 or f/11 if you are at the hyperfocal distance. But f/22- fahgedaboudit!

For the fuji stuff you'd need a PA45 back, they are quite inexpensive on the used market.
    It's the Ektar 127. I think I'm going to go with f8, 1/25, #25b bulb, set the rail at the 15' mark. I think also that I will push the HP5+ to 800.

What was the general speed used back in the day?
    - J. Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, I don't know for sure since I wasn't alive back in the day, but I guess 400 was considered fast But if you were not enlarging then you could get by... and press shots were barely enlarged if at all.

By the way most of my family lives in Lexington and Versailles. (olala, that's ver-SAILS Kentucky, for all you French speakers)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    YES! I still say "ver-sigh" because it makes people angry...
    - J. Richard

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnRichard View Post
    YES! I still say "ver-sigh" because it makes people angry...
    You might as well go into Commonwealth Stadium and yell, "Go Louisville!" this Saturday at the game if you want a bunch of Kentuckians mad at you. And, no, there are no Louisville fans from Kentucky.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin