Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,834   Posts: 1,582,395   Online: 901

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

What's a decent price for a Tachihara 4x5?

As the title says, what's a decent price for a Tachihara 4x5? Body, ground glass, no lens board, and supposedly in good condition. Is $350 a good price? I don't know what to expect to pay elsewhere but there's someone reasonably local to me that has one for $350. Would it be unruly or inconsiderate or offensive to offer .. say .. $250 after I see it in person? I don't normally lowball but.. in today's economy it doesn't hurt to be a bit miserly in all your approaches. But I don't want to offend because maybe I might want the camera... y'know?
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    $350 isn't a bad price if it's in good condition, LF prices are all over the place these days people foolishly pay that sort of price for Speed/Crown Graphics.

Haggle if you can but I suspect the seller could easily get that price.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I paid mine something like €900 new. It's very nice camera, so if it's in good shape that looks like a very decent price.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I paid mine something like €900 new. It's very nice camera, so if it's in good shape that looks like a very decent price.
    That's quite a high price actually (but not for a view camera ). Midwest Photo Exchange sells it for $699,95 new:

http://www.mpex.com/browse.cfm/2,233.html

But the suggested price seems reasonable if in excellent condition... and MPEX seems to have one of the lowest prices on the Tachihara.

Marco
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If it's in good shape and relatively new and if I trusted the seller I wouldn't hesitate.
    Last edited by Mike1234; 09-15-2009 at 10:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    That's quite a high price actually (but not for a view camera ). Midwest Photo Exchange sells it for $699,95 new
    I bought it in France some 4 years ago, didn't try to find the lowest price.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Agreed. That's a good price. Paid $600 for mine in excellent used condition.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you sure you want a 4x5? Thought of a 5x7 or 8x10?

$350.00 is a very good buy if the camera is in good mechanical shape and the bellows are completely light tight. You don't want to have to turn around and patch the bellows or buy another one. Too much time and money. I'm dusting off the 8x10 and using my 5x7 in preparation for the Feb. workshop.

I bought a Shen Hao a while back, it has a 13 inch bellow, short, but it's new and works flawlessly. Sometimes it's good to go new if you can spring it. That said my 5x and 8x's are all used and old but have light tight bellows.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    f Notsosharmonkey's not fast enough one of us will buy it first

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    f Notsosharmonkey's not fast enough one of us will buy it first

Ian
    Wanna put money down on that wager?

I don't think you can find the camera... let's see if you can
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin