Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,456   Posts: 1,570,570   Online: 837

Thread: Peak Loupes

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images
    I have been looking for a good loupe to use for ground glass viewing, and had decided on the Peak loupe with a suction cup for GG attachment. I had look at prices all over the web, and found the best price to be from Peak's own website, $26.00.

Well I went through their registration process, checked my order, and chose my shipping option. Then after entering my card info, I came to the final order confirmation page. There I find that since my order is under $50, they are going to charge me the $11 difference to make my order $50.

I am a consumer, but it is not my job to pay a variable rate for a company's product. I have voiced this opinion to Peak, and now to you. I will never buy one of their products, and this experience has made me feel good about paying much more for a Schnieder or Rodenstok loupe, as I know their companies, and qualities.

Thanks for listening to my rant.
    "Hey, I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do!"-Bender Bending Rodriguez

You are lucky as you can probably get it cheaper at B&H, but my question is why you would want that particular loupe? It is a $10.00 low quality loupe with a suction cup gimmick that you pay a lot for. I have never used it myself but my impression is that most that have, eventually move on to something better.

For hands free viewing get a pair of the highest (2.50 +) diopter reading glasses and a cheap Agfa loupe for close inspection. The suction cup just gets in the way.

If you want good quality at decent price get a Toyo (longer so your nose doesn't hit the GG). I have a Wista that I like a lot but still use reading glasses for most work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Peak Sucking Loupe is indeed a piece of plastic - it has no glass lens and is delicate to scratches.

Apart from that, the suction cup needs a lot of space when engaged and thus limits the useable area to nearly MF-size on a 4x5 grond glass.

I prefer the Peak Hand Loupe 3x, since you can vary the mag-ratio by the holding dinstance, can either view from larger distances or have a larger field of view and - last but not least - have a univeral and "real" tool in the field.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images
    I looked at the Toyo-View 3.6x magnifier on the Calumet site for $49.99, then bought it from Adorama for $39.99.
    "Hey, I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do!"-Bender Bending Rodriguez

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin