Switch to English Language Passer en langue fran็aise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,657   Online: 946

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pacemaker CLA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Pacemaker CLA

Well, I've recently had the inspiration to do a project using my speed graphic exclusively. However, before I start shooting it, I want to get my camera mechanically superb.

Do you know a good place that can do a full CLA on a Graflex with a very fast turnaround?

I want my FP shutter accurate enough to shoot transparencies, same with my lens/leaf shutter. I also want my rangefinder to be calibrated to better than I could possibly do myself.

Is this too much to ask? If not, where?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    it is definitely not too much to ask. Any competent camera repair technician will be able to CLA both shutters...and ought to be able to calibrate the rangefinder as well.

However, if you want the camera "as good as new", Fred Lustig is the man to call. He lives in Reno, Nevada. Google him to find his number and give him a call. His prices are reasonable and his work is impeccable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Excellent, thanks! I will have to get in contact with Mr. Lustig.

What is the best way to ship the camera to him? Should I insure it? I've never used shipping insurance before.

I know, it sounds dumb, but how do I do it? *sheepish grin*
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    Probably just put it in a box with some bubble wrap and ship it with your carrier of choice. Insurance sounds like a good idea. It's not like speed graphics are delicate.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Wrap the camera in bubble wrap. Find a box that allows for at least two inches of foam or wadded up paper all around. Add a layer of packing peanuts to the bottom of the box, put bubble wrapped camera in box and fill the rest of the way with packing peanuts. Write Mr. Lustig's shipping address on a piece of paper and put it in the box. Add a note to Mr. Lustig explaining what work you need done and when you 'd like the camera returned and how you can be reached...and your return address. Seal the box and write Mr. Lustig's name and address on the out side. Take the box to the nearest post office and ask the nice person at the counter to send it Priority mail....NOT parcel post. Do not worry about insurance. With the USPS priority mail service,, it'll get there in two or three days and it'll be fine (if you pack like I said above).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    How do I give payment? Is there a form like the one from Dwaynes, where I can put my card #, and he can just charge me whatever it racks up to?
    www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    you might want to search for mr lustig's phone number
    and call him, and speak with him about what you hope to have done ...
    (before you ship it out to him).
    you'll have a better idea of cost, payment and timeframe too ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    How do I give payment? Is there a form like the one from Dwaynes, where I can put my card #, and he can just charge me whatever it racks up to?
    Here is Fred Lustig's phone # and address:

Fred Lustig
    4790 Caughlin Parkway #433
    Reno, NV 89519
    Phone: 775-746-0111 . Keep in mind any time difference; he's in Nevada. (Pacific Time)
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I had done this previously, and he said he couldn't quote me a price because he did not know the extent of the work until he saw the camera.
    www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Are you sure that you have the right address? The last thing in the world I want to do is mail my baby to some random person...

The one on Graflex.org lists a different area code, but I know he moved.

"Fred Lustig
    4790 Caughlin Pkwy #433
    Reno, NV 89509
    phone (775) 746-0111"
    www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin