Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,668   Online: 1164

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Kodak D2, paper, and complaints...

So I have this Kodak D2. It's ghetto... it has some sort of aftermarket go-faster clamp deal to hold the front rise in place. Takes 3 hands to rise the front. The back gets a little carried away and swings completely off its track. Takes another 3 hands to get it back on.

It is however, the only 10x8 I own. I have 3 film carriers, and 5 dark slides. I don't know where the other one went. They are old, wooden, and don't work very well.

Anyhow, I decided to try out some paper. ASA 6, f16 at 1 minute sounded like a good plan, until the darkslide ate the first sheet. No big loss, its like 50 cents. So I tried again, and it worked better this time.

I haven't developed yet, saving the other two shots for tomorrow, bright sun (hopefully).

My question is this: I don't have a nice big 300mm, so I used the Ektar 127 from my Speed Graphic. Is it correct to have the front almost not racked out at all with this "wide angle" lens?

It looked sharp, and I assume I could almost do some macro work. It's fairly dark inside, and since its almost 10pm here, its dark outside.

Thoughts?
    - J. Richard
    4x5 Speed Graphic, Looking for another 8x10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A ghetto 10x8 camera. Now there's a guy who's from the neighborhood. A regular guy, just like the kind we used to have in Brooklyn before the swells and the hipsters took over all the good parts. Well, you asked for thoughts so here goes.

On the subject of the lens, I'd be surprised if you got anywhere near full coverage of the full 10x8 frame. Remember that the lens was designed for the Speed and Crown Graphic cameras and these were not known for having movements. Why design a lens with more coverage than you need? I can get a tiny bit of rise or fall on 5x4 with the 135 Xenar on my Crown. It's not much, and the edges start falling apart pretty badly, pretty quickly. Considering the rather short focal length of the lens, it doesn't surprise me either that the bellows are very compressed. The Kodak D was designed way before ultra wide lenses were common, and again, why built in a feature that will not be used? Could you use it for macro work? Maybe. It's worth a shot anyway, though I think even in that application you might have a problem covering the full 10x8 frame.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    some info on your lens ...
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=31552
    you won't have any trouble using it as a macro lens ...
    don't forget to do the whole bellows compensation thing ...
    jason brunner's bacon video is tops ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    OK! So Last night and this morning I made 3 exposures. Well, I actually made 4 but you know... it ate one.

Anyhow. Oh my Jesus. These paper negs are AMAZING! The texture, the detail, I am excited.

So I went and contact printed. I porbabily should have waited till the negs were dry but whatever. For some reason, I can't get the contrast just right. If I light it too long, the blacks are black enough, but the whites blow out; too little, and its all just grey mush.

I am using Multi VI RC paper or whatever its called. I hate it for prints, but for paper negs, I have found my new friend. They really do look amazing. As soon as they are more dry, I am going to scan them in so you can see. I'll also scan the contact positive, tho they don't look very good.

I am seriously thinking about selling my D2 and getting a monorail, or something a bit lighter. It's such a hassle; takes two tripods just to level it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, and I know I don't have the right tripod. Anyhow I'll update in a bit.
    - J. Richard

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Here is what the paper negative looks like:

The first contact positive:

The second:

Don't hate me, this is what I WANT the image to look like. I just simply said "invert" when I scanned it with my cheap POS scanner.
    - J. Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    it looks like your paper positives aren't getting enough exposure in
    order for everything to go black and white as you want.
    you might also try to use a higher grade filter if using your enlarger ( a 3.5 ? )
    so you keep your whites white, your blacks black and your mid tones like you want them.
    part of what that wild mid-tone swirl you are seeing in your print might be the water from your wet negative .. more exposure might get rid of that too ..
    good stuff, i kind of like 2nd print a whole lot ..

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Since you are exposing VC paper in-camera, you might try taping a lower number VC printing filter (#1 perhaps) to the back of your lens and double your exposure time. In theory, this might reduce the contrast of your paper negs.

Your image is very interesting!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    nice image.

About the D2. (I have 2, one has been "expanded" to be 8x20)

The D2 folds up to be quite small and easily portable. Consider rehabbing it and then you have some additional $$ for the lens part. Film holders too.

John

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin