Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,268   Online: 764

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I ditched eBay a long time ago. They're making it very difficult for a seller to actually make a profit.
    The whole scheme they have with holding funds is also ridiculous, so I will never sell an item there anymore.
    Craigslist is actually a pretty cool place to buy and sell, even though there are a lot of duds there, it's free! The site just connects people, and the transaction takes place in private.

I have bought and sold items here on APUG, and I've always been happy with it. I do find that the classifieds system here could use improvement, but it works. And as a community it's nice to be able to perhaps even purchase things from other people you already know somewhat.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    If you start posting wtb (wanted to buy) ads on either form you may want to add some indicator of your location to your profile. It might be reasonable to ship a lens from California to England, but not an eight foot stainless steel sink. How specific about your location is up to you. There are differences of opinion here on how much to say.

I like you bought most of my gear on eBay up to about two years ago. Now in this economy I buy less from anywhere, but I buy more from the forms than eBay. Twice in the last year my eBay eSnipe account has gone into the dormant category.

John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've occasionally met people to trade items through forums, since I'm in New York, and there are a lot of people around here, but most of my trades have been by mail and on the basis of mutual trust. I bought my Linhof Tech V 23b through a forum, wire transfer to Croatia and DHL to New York, no problems. Most of the people I've traded with on the forums have been willing to send goods before the funds are received, and I've done the same when purchasing, since these are people I've been conversing with online for years for the most part.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildtypitch View Post
    I've been a regular ebay user for nearly all of my photography equipment for the past 3 years. I occasionally sell things too. My recent attempt to sell has reminded me of the frustations I have with the service in general. I must have in total spend around a whole day contacting ebay trying to resolve issues that were mostly faults of the system. In each case I was given automated responses that did not fix the issue, anyway....

I looked today and they charge 10% on final value fee, not only that but you must also offer paypal which charges another fee close to 5% and also you have to have a paid business account to accept paypal payments from a credit card!

In the end you end up paying around 15% on the sale of your product + insertion fees + paypal account fees

This seems to have affected trade as in the photography sections most things have ridiculously high buy it now fees and biddable bargains are few and far between.

Is Ebay still the place where photog's do their trade?

I'm looking into Ebid which seems as the only rival to ebay that has a chance. It is international. The escrow service seems to be a usable neat solution to faud (from personal experience i've discovered that paypal it not, they even charge you when you been done over!)

I'm going to start using ebid in a hope that it becomes more popular for photographers. There is a 3% final value fee and at the moment they have an offer of £50 for lifetime membership (never pay another fee again)
    Has anyone else used them?
    I have limited experience with keh.com but they have reasonable prices it seems. I bought from them a RB67 for a little bit more than I could on ebay, but it was in mint condition, well packaged etc... I used to love ebay, and now I started to hate it for some reason. Do you know what I use ebay for the most part now, to learn about camera equipment, it is like a huge catalog of lenses, cameras and other equipment.

Just my two cents
    "Art is a lie that enables us to tell the truth" -Picasso
    http://www.jaimebermudez.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    The whole scheme they have with holding funds is also ridiculous, so I will never sell an item there anymore.
    FePay is now my absolute LAST resort...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i haven't bought photo stuff in general on eboink or anywhere else for that matter
    in a long time, and i haven't sold there in even a longer time ...
    the classifieds here are usually a good deal, and most of the time
    you trade with a nice person, not always though.
    pretty much my worst experience of my online trading ( since the early 90s )
    was right here on aPug.

even with all its problems, at least with eBoo you can leave feedback and warn people
    that sometimes things are not what they seem ...
    unfortunately, here we can't leave feedback
    .. so i will only buy from people i "know" or have bought from before.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    If you start posting wtb (wanted to buy) ads on either form you may want to add some indicator of your location to your profile. It might be reasonable to ship a lens from California to England, but not an eight foot stainless steel sink. How specific about your location is up to you. There are differences of opinion here on how much to say.

John Powers
    Like John says locations in Profiles etc are important, and need to be clear like his.

It's no good just saying Paris or Athens when you live in the US versions. If John just put Bath we'd all assume he lived in the UK

Another pet gripe is put the Currency in adverts. If you don't put a location or currency & say $ I'll offer you Zimbawean Dollars All these forums are so International a $ could realisticly be US, Canadian, Australian or perhaps New Zealand.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    it seems to me that ebid would be a good choice the as fees are 3% or nothing for life if you pay a startup £50. and you get the pro's of ebay like user ratings and online payment systems. Only thing is lack of users, maybe using ebid linked to items posted in apug forums would be a good way to get things cooking for me anyhow. ebid also has a wanted section.
    Nathaniel McMahon - Art Photography

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    There's also KEH.com. Quality is almost always well above the listed rating. I've bought plenty of Bargain items that would be listed as Like New with anyone else.

Isn't there a larger potential "audience" on Ebay? Also, if one buys from one with a large number of positive feedback ratings ( smaller numbers can be "cooked" ), and uses the "Buyer Protection Plan", then one has some measure of protection. One can also use the escrow feature. All in all, I find Ebay a reasonable place to find some items, and to occasionally sell some as well. It's good to have some options, and all mentioned are certainly reasonable.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin