Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,660   Online: 871

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post

It's like a cartel, all these UK Ebay stores are I think linked through the UK Camera fair circuit, I'm collecting data for a journalist who is digging far deeper Essentially what they do is list and re-list the same items so many times in the hope that people assume those are the going rates for the items, then they list a bit cheaper and hpoe people will buy, still way over the market price. They've effectively killed private sales on Ebay in the UK. in the past 18 months.

The good UK dealers who also have an Ebay store tend not to have many items listed with a "Buy It Now" prices and when they do have fairly priced items, whether on Ebay or in their High Street shops or own websites.
    I agree, I've also noticed that in Germany they have many of the same issues ridiculously priced items and a complete barrage of them so it makes searching tiresome.
    Nathaniel McMahon - Art Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildtypitch View Post
    I agree, I've also noticed that in Germany they have many of the same issues ridiculously priced items and a complete barrage of them so it makes searching tiresome.
    Not really noticed a German problem. Post examples please.

I buy off a couple of German stores which post prolifically, and you could say dominate, but the prices are always fair & reasonable. That's the HUGE difference.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Any sales from any source can be a source of frustration -- and it is that damn rotten apple that spoil the barrel. I bought a 5x7 camera in "good" condition from a LF Forum member (who also had a GG business) at what seemed a pretty good price (for both of us), but when it arrived it was obviously from a home of a heavy smoker. I set it up in the garage to air out for a few months...it was nasty to even handle.

Then when I went to actually use it, the gearing on the bed was very marginal and the back unusable. Disappointing and frustrating. But a half-year had past and I had not asked the proper questions about the camera, so I wrote it off as a learning experience (and a future learning experience in camera restoration). But if he was still in business, I would not buy any GG from him.

It is painful to see the same model camera, but in much much better condition, going for less than half of the price on eBay that I paid.

Vaughn
    i know what you mean vaughn ..
    questions are always key, but sometimes
    even after the questions are asked and answered
    things are not always what they appear to be ..

sorry for your situation

john

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ebay's fee schedule is a little complicated:

Quote Originally Posted by Ebay site
    8.75% of the initial $25.00 ($2.19), plus 3.50% of the initial $25.01 - $1,000.00 ($34.12), plus 1.50% of the remaining closing value balance($1000.01 - closing value
    Recently I sold a camera for $400. My fees were $28.75 (7%), which I find fairly reasonable. Add Paypal fees for a total of 10%. I don't think that's bad considering these services offer various protections and I was able to find a buyer within two days.

That said, I'm not a dealer trying to turn a profit. Just selling a camera I didn't use much anymore.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    As far as selling goes, I'm not really in it to make a profit. I buy things, and if something better comes along, I might sell something I no longer need or sell one item to finance another. In most cases of selling a used item that I've bought, I'm hoping to break even, and that's usually what happens, plus or minus a little here, a little there. I've never had a very significant loss, but I've had a few significant profits.

When I do make a profit, it is usually because I bought something that was poorly described, but that I felt was a fairly safe risk based on my own experience with similar items, and I sold it with a better description and better photographs than the original seller used. In these cases, the fees have been insignificant in relation to the profit realized by knowing what I was buying and being able to describe the item accurately and in detail with good photographs or even an audio recording in the case of a musical instrument.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Not really noticed a German problem. Post examples please.

Ian
    Have a look at team-foto shop on German ebay they have some nice lenses good condition but priced as new.
    190336403658 Fuji Fujinon SW 8,0 / 125: 700 euro
    220472709284 Schneider Apo-Symmar 5.6 / 180: EUR 809,00
    310164776618 Rodenstock Grandagon N 4.5 / 90 : EUR 1.049,00

other sellers
    390087537744 210mm F8 SUPER-ANGULON: EUR 1.745,00

190336403658 Schneider Kreuznach APO SYMMAR 5.6/240, Prontor 3: 750 EURO

350255850424 RODENSTOCK APO-SIRONAR-N 5,6/210 : EUR 499,00

Some of these are ridiculous prices that for sure will not sell some are not so bad but still priced out of the market. I remember German ebay being worse as I used to buy lots from there but you are right they do have good seller too, more than the uk.
    Nathaniel McMahon - Art Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildtypitch View Post
    Have a look at team-foto shop on German ebay they have some nice lenses good condition but priced as new.
    190336403658 Fuji Fujinon SW 8,0 / 125: 700 euro
    220472709284 Schneider Apo-Symmar 5.6 / 180: EUR 809,00
    310164776618 Rodenstock Grandagon N 4.5 / 90 : EUR 1.049,00

other sellers
    390087537744 210mm F8 SUPER-ANGULON: EUR 1.745,00

190336403658 Schneider Kreuznach APO SYMMAR 5.6/240, Prontor 3: 750 EURO

350255850424 RODENSTOCK APO-SIRONAR-N 5,6/210 : EUR 499,00

Some of these are ridiculous prices that for sure will not sell some are not so bad but still priced out of the market. I remember German ebay being worse as I used to buy lots from there but you are right they do have good seller too, more than the uk.

Nobody puts a gun to your head and makes you bid. It's your equipment until it sells. Ask what you want. You might get lucky and get some dumb schmuck to bite. I mean, look at EBay seller Camera$. Why the heck anyone would buy from him is beyond my comprehension, but he is entitled to ask what he wants for his stuff.

I haven't used Ebay for quite awhile. It's not any fun anymore, there are fewer bargains, I have enough 'stuff', and the personal relationships you use to be able to foster with a seller are gone. Now it's bid, win, pay, receive (if you are lucky), post feedback, look to see if the seller bothered to post feedback for you. I would buy off APUG first, KEH second, craigslist third.

If I needed anything.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post

I haven't used Ebay for quite awhile. It's not any fun anymore, there are fewer bargains, I have enough 'stuff', and

I echo those same feelings!

In fact, after 30 years of using primarily used equipment (from Shutterbug ads, then e-bay) my last few purchases have been NEW equipment!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I quit feeBay years ago... and Pay-thru-ur-nose-Pal. Just like any other monster companies they are absolute control freaks driven soley by greed. I would rather sell at a lower price on the forums and pass the savings to fellow members. IMO, feeBay and PayPal RUINED the market for anyone with a conscience and sense of fair trade.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    I mean, look at EBay seller Camera$. Why the heck anyone would buy from him is beyond my comprehension, but he is entitled to ask what he wants for his stuff.
    He's sold over a number of different aliases over the years, "cafedeparis," "emmanuelle," and a few others. His pattern is to put things up at a high price and slowly drop the price until someone buys them. His descriptions tend to be exaggerated. As long as you are aware of that, you can sometimes find interesting items at reasonable prices from him. You just have to be patient, assume that the item isn't as good as he says it is (and if it is consider it a bonus), and be disciplined about the price you are willing to pay. I've bought a couple of lenses from him and have no regrets.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin