Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,792   Online: 679

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    As far as selling goes, I'm not really in it to make a profit. I buy things, and if something better comes along, I might sell something I no longer need or sell one item to finance another. In most cases of selling a used item that I've bought, I'm hoping to break even, and that's usually what happens, plus or minus a little here, a little there. I've never had a very significant loss, but I've had a few significant profits.
    I agree totally with this.
    Greed is certainly rampant today, and eBay/PayPal are as bad as anybody. But, on the whole, I reckon the only little people who feel badly hurt are those who are trying to use eBay as some kind of business platform themselves. If all private sellers like you and me had a bit of patience and used eBay as an effective way of getting rid of things we no longer want and getting hold of things we do want (and ignoring the various opportunists running eBay stores), it would work fine for us. eBay would continue to gouge its fees and get bigger and bigger, but it wouldn't hurt us too badly. It is when we always expect a profit on a sale or a bargain on a buy that we feel aggrieved. The big corporates are not the only ones guilty of greed these days...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've been hearing that Google is about to enter the auction business.

Could be interesting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For some time I have been troubled by eBay / PayPal policies, particularly in relation to transferring funds from PayPal to operating bank account(s); this incurs some nasty fees. I agree that photographic equipment on eBay is often over-priced, moreso if it is being sold ex-Hong Kong (which attracts the upright attention of Customs ensuring GST is added on, rather than evaded).

Mostly I scout well-respected second hand pro-dealer windows or stock for something I am after (of the two regularly visit, I've known them for more than 30 years). This manual door-to-door footwork gives me hands-on, touchy-feely feedback about what qualities I am looking for, condition, operational integrity, etc., and I can go back as often as I want for further deliberation. This can't be done on eBay, as you know, and that is where the risk is. I haven't been bitten on eBay (yet!) as I suss the seller out; you do have to be very careful, but the much bigger problem is fees and charges.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildtypitch View Post
    Have a look at team-foto shop on German ebay they have some nice lenses good condition but priced as new.
    190336403658 Fuji Fujinon SW 8,0 / 125: 700 euro
    220472709284 Schneider Apo-Symmar 5.6 / 180: EUR 809,00
    310164776618 Rodenstock Grandagon N 4.5 / 90 : EUR 1.049,00

other sellers
    390087537744 210mm F8 SUPER-ANGULON: EUR 1.745,00

190336403658 Schneider Kreuznach APO SYMMAR 5.6/240, Prontor 3: 750 EURO

350255850424 RODENSTOCK APO-SIRONAR-N 5,6/210 : EUR 499,00

Some of these are ridiculous prices that for sure will not sell some are not so bad but still priced out of the market. I remember German ebay being worse as I used to buy lots from there but you are right they do have good seller too, more than the uk.

Ok point taken, add Photo Arsenal to the list as well. I don't search the German site that thoroughly, I find it more difficult as I can't speak German

What I object to is a few less than reputable dealers trying to flood Ebay with grossly over priced items and attempting to make those prices seem the norm. By flood, I mean they often have over a 1000 items listed at any one time, in the UK one has around 1300+, the German seller you highlighted has 2700+ items.

As others have pointed out we don't have to buy from them, but that overlooks the facts that novices to Medium/Large format and first time film users are usually clueless as to fair market prices, these are the people who gt caught out.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yeah, there are a couple of German dealers and a couple of Hong Kong dealers that post a ton of Hasselblad items that are 50% to 70% higher than all of the completed items for the same item. Just stupid.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Not really noticed a German problem. Post examples please.
    There is a group of sellers in Nuremberg, all sharing the same address, which are infamous for their ridiculous pricing. They have the habit to issue large amounts of buy-it-now items at once. It is annoying to have to scroll through their offers first to find what you are looking for.

Ulrich

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildtypitch View Post
    Some of these are ridiculous prices that for sure will not sell some are not so bad but still priced out of the market.
    There is a difference between private and commercial sellers in Germany. Commercial sellers underly the regulations of the Fernabsatz Gesetz. This gives private buyers extensive rights which must be accounted for. Thus commercial sellers always sell higher than the average ebay auction prices.

Ulrich

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    There are also the APUG classifieds, of course, and the classifieds on lfphoto.info in the q&a forum (LF forum).

To post a classified ad on APUG, you need to be a subscriber, and to post in the classifieds forum on the LF forum, you need to be a member for at least 30 days, but you can browse and purchase from the classifieds on either forum as a new member.
    Actually you cannot access the classifieds on the LF forum site, even to read the ads for at least 30 days.
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulrich Drolshagen View Post
    There is a group of sellers in Nuremberg, all sharing the same address, which are infamous for their ridiculous pricing. They have the habit to issue large amounts of buy-it-now items at once. It is annoying to have to scroll through their offers first to find what you are looking for.

Ulrich

Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    Yeah, there are a couple of German dealers and a couple of Hong Kong dealers that post a ton of Hasselblad items that are 50% to 70% higher than all of the completed items for the same item. Just stupid.
    There's the "Hollywood" seller to.

Perhaps what we should really be doing is exposing all these seller, rather than just the UK ones.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    ....get some dumb schmuck to bite. I mean, look at EBay seller Camera$. Why the heck anyone would buy from him is beyond my comprehension....
    ha!!!!!!!!!! Oh man you are so right. Every so often, of course I have to be completely bored and nothing to do, I peruse his listings and find the ones where he says things like "totally gorgeous" and things like that and it looks like someone kicked it down a flight of stairs and it skidded down a street of sandpaper, and I ask him "Pardon me but I don't quite see what you mean about totally gorgeous. This thing looks like a heap of junk to me! Did you pick this up from the site of a crashed airplane or something?" hahahahahahahha, talk about therapy, that is good for the soul to have a hearty laugh like that. Anyway, I have only gotten one response from him ever. And I've sent like 20 or 30 "ask seller a question".
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin