Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,933   Posts: 1,557,012   Online: 1174

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Ebay fees hit 10% Where do people buy their large format equipment

I've been a regular ebay user for nearly all of my photography equipment for the past 3 years. I occasionally sell things too. My recent attempt to sell has reminded me of the frustations I have with the service in general. I must have in total spend around a whole day contacting ebay trying to resolve issues that were mostly faults of the system. In each case I was given automated responses that did not fix the issue, anyway....

I looked today and they charge 10% on final value fee, not only that but you must also offer paypal which charges another fee close to 5% and also you have to have a paid business account to accept paypal payments from a credit card!

In the end you end up paying around 15% on the sale of your product + insertion fees + paypal account fees

This seems to have affected trade as in the photography sections most things have ridiculously high buy it now fees and biddable bargains are few and far between.

Is Ebay still the place where photog's do their trade?

I'm looking into Ebid which seems as the only rival to ebay that has a chance. It is international. The escrow service seems to be a usable neat solution to faud (from personal experience i've discovered that paypal it not, they even charge you when you been done over!)

I'm going to start using ebid in a hope that it becomes more popular for photographers. There is a 3% final value fee and at the moment they have an offer of £50 for lifetime membership (never pay another fee again)
    Has anyone else used them?
    Nathaniel McMahon - Art Photography

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There are also the APUG classifieds, of course, and the classifieds on lfphoto.info in the q&a forum (LF forum).

To post a classified ad on APUG, you need to be a subscriber, and to post in the classifieds forum on the LF forum, you need to be a member for at least 30 days, but you can browse and purchase from the classifieds on either forum as a new member.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Forum posts are one thing but a recognised system where people can trade securely is another. I've never bought of a forum because I often find that the prices are very high. Maybe because the people who have used and cared for the equipment are selling them. The main thin g with ebay is that no matter what you wanted you could find it most of the time on ebay. This is less so nowadays but you still can, example I just bought a sinar handy with shift with schneider 65mm. Its great and no doubt I would not have been able to find one anywhere else. But when it comes to selling ebay it taking too much and obscure things are harder to find because seller are I think are less inclined to sell there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David's 2 suggestions are where I now buy nearly everything. Subscribe, you can buy sell, and post wanted adverts.

I've had some great bargains, here camera's lenses etc. Within a day of posting a wanted advert for a 135mm for a 5x4 I'd been offered a mint Caltar lens at a fair price for both of us.

An example at the moment is a superb 5x4 Press camera (not a Speed/Crown Graphic, this has a revolving back & far more movement) for $200 (US) it would sell for far more on ebay

My experience of buying from both Forums is that descriptions are more accurate, prices fairer and many very inexpensive, far less than typical Ebay prices - Buy It Now or finished auctions

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    eBay is indeed a larger market, so there's more stuff for sale and there are more buyers to purchase it. If you want the low prices and legal structures and feedback system of eBay, then you have to pay the fees for access to that system.

That said, I've bought items both here and on the LF forum, and I've found it to be quite reliable. People who are established as members of the forum community have a reputation to protect on the forum, and I would argue that that goes further to ensure honesty than all the controls eBay and PayPal have in place. Of course new members have less of a reputation to protect on the forum, so they are less likely to be successful in posting classified ads. As a moderator, I've seen very few problems reported between buyers and sellers on the APUG classifieds.

Usually if I have something to sell, I post it here first, and if it doesn't sell in a few days and is a LF item, I post it to the LF forum classifieds, and then if it still hasn't sold after a week or so, I'll put it on eBay.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Forums.

I hardly use ebay now and most definitely will not ever sell on it if I can possibly help it. Fees too high, fraud too prevalent, customer service often non-existent and Paypal tantamount to robbery. no thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have sold a few items here and bought a few here and on the LF Photography forum. Everything sold fast with quick payment and no problems. What I bought was as advertised. Even though you need to be a subscriber, you would quickly recoup that amount in the fees you save over using ebay.

I still buy on Ebay from time to time but for someone like me who just sells an item once in awhile it has become way to much of a hassle.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I must take a look at forum here.
    As anyone had any success with Ebid. I'm thinking of heading that way. With forum I guess the problem is that you actually have to meet to trade. Great if local but impossible if not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildtypitch View Post
    With forum I guess the problem is that you actually have to meet to trade. Great if local but impossible if not.
    I sold a few items via APUG, and shipped internationally without any issue...
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never met anyone in all my trades on Forums, and I've bought from a variety of countries too There's absolutely no need to meet up unless you live nearby or items are very heavy. That's now well over 50 transactions.

Oh not strictly true I gave my old 5x4 enlarger away on a UK based Forum and the person collected it in person (he's also an APUG member).

Perhaps a point being missed is that as a community we have some trust in each other.

Ian

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin