Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,318   Posts: 1,536,765   Online: 1086

Thread: focus problems

Shooter
    Medium Format

focus problems

Focus

Having a problem with ground glass. Got a fine ground glass for my 4x5 press view. I replaced the old glass which was a coarser grain .But now my images seem ever so slightly soft as though I missed in focusing with my magnifier. Dug out an old micrometer and checked thicknesses. Itís been so long since I worked with a micrometer and I probably have the wrong readings but there is a difference between the glass the old read about .013 and new glass .005. It is only a tiny difference if my measurements make no sense But would it be enough to throw my focus off a hair?
    I have a 150mm F/5.6 Topcor which gave me good results on my monorail,but I can't carry that into the field.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Hi, the thickness doesn't really matter, as long as the ground side of the glass is at the same position as before.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rmolson View Post
    Focus

Having a problem with ground glass. Got a fine ground glass for my 4x5 press view. I replaced the old glass which was a coarser grain .But now my images seem ever so slightly soft as though I missed in focusing with my magnifier. Dug out an old micrometer and checked thicknesses. Itís been so long since I worked with a micrometer and I probably have the wrong readings but there is a difference between the glass the old read about .013 and new glass .005. It is only a tiny difference if my measurements make no sense But would it be enough to throw my focus off a hair?
    I have a 150mm F/5.6 Topcor which gave me good results on my monorail,but I can't carry that into the field.
    Jon Shiu is correct. Are you sure you've got it on the right side?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I checked that part ,next I suppose will be to check if the film plane and the ground glass agree.the camera while all metal is 50 years old and I suppose something could have changed since then.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I havent used a LF in some time, but could it be just the difference in contrast between the fine and coarser glass? Just a thought.
    Rick

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin