Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,209   Online: 1170

Shooter
    Large Format

Whole plate film holders for Rittreck

I recently purchased a Rittreck view camera with the 5x7 and whole plate backs. I have one "Rittreck Hope" whole plate (yatsugiri) holder which is in excellent condition. The Rittreck is a great camera and I find whole plate very appealing, but I'm hesitant to go much farther without at least a couple of spare holders.

Where do other users of Japanese whole plate cameras find holders? Does anyone make them? Or do I just take really, really good care of the one I've got?
    John Drueke

Shooter
    Large Format
    I got all of my matching Tachihara Hope yatsugiri holders bundled with Rittreck bodies.

Eastman-style WP holders will fit the Rittreck back. The image area will be a few millimeters off center in the long dimension, but you could always mark the ground glass if you're trying to be that precise. The Eastman holders can also be a bit hard to find, but don't forget that Eastman plate holders with film sheaths can also be quite workable.

The reverse is not true, BTW - the end-to-locking-ridge dimension on the yatsugiri holders is just a bit too long to seat properly in a back designed for the Eastman holders.

Current Chamonix WP holders should fit as well - I can dig out a Rittreck WP back and check that with mine if you think you might want to go that route.

Good luck!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    I got all of my matching Tachihara Hope yatsugiri holders bundled with Rittreck bodies.

Eastman-style WP holders will fit the Rittreck back. The image area will be a few millimeters off center in the long dimension, but you could always mark the ground glass if you're trying to be that precise. The Eastman holders can also be a bit hard to find, but don't forget that Eastman plate holders with film sheaths can also be quite workable.

The reverse is not true, BTW - the end-to-locking-ridge dimension on the yatsugiri holders is just a bit too long to seat properly in a back designed for the Eastman holders.

Current Chamonix WP holders should fit as well - I can dig out a Rittreck WP back and check that with mine if you think you might want to go that route.

Good luck!
    Oren,

That would be very helpful. Thanks.

John
    John Drueke

Shooter
    Large Format
    John - I just checked, and I regret to have to say that the Chamonix WP holders do NOT fit the Rittreck yatsugiri back - they're just a hair too wide. I confirmed once again that my Eastman WP holders do fit.

Sorry for raising hopes on this.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Oren,

Thanks very much for checking. Far better to know now than later when the package from China is on the way!

John
    John Drueke

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin