Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,201   Posts: 1,531,529   Online: 1049

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries

I need a Toyo GG expert

I have a Toyo 45 AX with the standard, factory GG/Fresnel combination.

I have recently obtained an old AGFA Ansco 8x10 camera with a ground glass only.

The problem: I find this old camera much easier to focus accurately. I am suspecting the Fresnel lens in the Toyo is making the focusing difficult for me.

First question: Where should the fresnel be on this Toyo camera, in front or behind the GG? I assume it is correct, but am double-checking. (By "in front," I mean, between the GG and the front of the camera, just to be clear.)

Second question: If the Fresnel is supposed to be in front, and I decide to remove it, can I assume I will have screwed up the film plane on the GG in relation to the film-holder when it is inserted?

If this is the case, is there a spacer or some way to compensate for this? I'm shooting portraits with shallow depth-of field, so critical focus is very important.

If none of this works, perhaps I will try a pair of Dollar store reading glasses as a magnifier.
    Last edited by Tom Nutter; 09-25-2009 at 07:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I don't think it's a lens speed/VF brightness issue either---The lens for the 8X10 is an F/6.3 300 mm, while the two lenses I have for the 4X5 are both shorter length F/5.6 lenses, a 250mm Telephoto and a 180. If anything, I am getting a dimmer picture with the 8X10.

I'm not ruling out subject movement, but let's just assume that isn't the problem...LOL!
    Last edited by Tom Nutter; 09-25-2009 at 07:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    On a Toyo the Fresnel goes in front of the GG. (between the GG and the lens) The difference may be just because one is an 8X10 and the other is a 4X5. At times my 810G is easier to use than the 45GX. Backing away from the GG on the 4X5 a couple of extra inches may help also. If memory serves, removing the fresnel will not affect the GG on a Toyo 4X5, it just makes it dimmer.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin