Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,060   Online: 843

Shooter
    Medium Format

Question about a deal.

Someone in Memphis just posted this :

GRAFLEX CROWN GRAPHIC 4 x 5 with 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 roll film attachment $100.00

Good Deal or No?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Probably, but it depends on the condition and whether it has a Graflok back and whether that back is complete.

It probably has a Graflok back since it has a roll holder, but you should confirm that. And, does it have the ground glass panel? Is the lens good (and shutter) - what is it, 135mm Optar? Are the bellows good? Are the rear rails okay? Most other stuff is minor.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I haven't called the guy yet. Though his posting says he is a retired photographer and he has a couple of what I think to be Kodak Press Cameras as well. He said all of the equipment is in good working condition.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yeah. Check anyway. I bought a Crown on ebay from a retired photog (so he said). Asked about the rear rails specifically and he told me they were good - turned out to be completely stripped out. Anything can be repaired but parts aren't cheap (although I'll be happy to sell you whatever you need) and it's a hassle - I once spent two hours replacing the rear rails and getting them properly aligned with the bed on a Speed. Did he have any photos posted?

Assuming everything is in good condition:
    A roll film holder (Graflex 23) is probably worth about $30-40 (the non-lever ones have flatness issues). A Crown with an Optar and a complete Graflok back would go anywhere from $150-200 or more depending how crazy people get and how good its condition really is.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK, Got a reply this is what he sent me:

The Crown Graphic Has a regular ground glass back for use with cut film holders as well as a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 120 roll film adapter. I also have a 4 x5 film pack adapter. There are several cut film holders as well. The bellows does not have any holes in it. It has a f4.7 135mm GRAFLEX OPTAR lens

Forgive me, but I am a LF newbie.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This sounds like a very good deal. I'd go for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For $100 there's no need to be fussy, film holders aren't cheap, and the roll film back is worth nearly half that.

It sounds like it's a more than fair deal and the seller just wants it to go to someone who'll use it. Having completely rebuilt 2 Speed Graphics there's not a lot can go wrong that can't easily and cheaply be fixed. Both my Speed's were total write off's

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin