Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,660   Posts: 1,481,549   Online: 972

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Diagnosing problems?

Yes, anything can happen when shooting... Please look at the attached images and tell me what you think happened. These 6 images are from last nights wedding shoot. They are taken with a Speed Graphic, set with the bed at infinity - 15'. 1/25 @ f16. Developed in a tank I am just about to pitch in the garbage. 20c, 1+14 Ilfosol-3, HP5+, EI800, 19:30 as per the instructions.

What it looks like to me is that I was shooting wide open. But, I stopped the lens down. I believe I stopped the lens down because you can make out the pattern of the iris in the candle light. Who knows... There is also uneven development due to that damned tank that everyone said I would get uneven development from. #25 bulb set on 20m/s delay.

Thoughts?

- J. Richard
    4x5 Speed Graphic, Looking for another 8x10.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, you've got uneven development as predicted.
    It's hard to judge exposure from a scan of a neg. It looks like you have fairly high base fog and low contrast, comparing the rebate of the film to the black border, but again, this is hard to judge from a scan of a neg. Try making some contact prints exposed for the minimum time to get the maximum black in the unexposed rebated of the film, and that will give a better idea of what you really have.

The focus doesn't seem to be where you intended it. Are the focus scale and infinity stops calibrated for the lens that's actually on the camera? Have you tested it by comparing the infinity focus and measured nearer distances on the focus scale to the image on the groundglass with a loupe?

If you're photographing people indoors, why would you set the focus from 15 ft to infinity? You're not shooting landscapes, and none of these photos look like they should have been made from fifteen feet away. Yet the focus--and it's hard to tell from these scans--seems to be far in front of the subject, suggesting that the focus scale and/or infinity stops don't correspond to the lens in use.

I think what you need is to find someone who has some experience shooting large format and go out for a day of shooting, starting from loading the filmholders to processing the film, and make sure you've covered all the basics.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I think what you need is to find someone who has some experience shooting large format and go out for a day of shooting, starting from loading the filmholders to processing the film, and make sure you've covered all the basics.
    This is the best advice you can get for your problem. Having another set of eys checking your equipment setup and then taking you out for a shoot is the best therapy. Don't bother to read any further.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It sure looks like your films became stuck together during processing. They were touching when you removed them?

Not to criticise in any way but... I would never shoot a wedding on sheet film unless they wanted (and paid in advance for) REALLY large prints... and certainly not at 800 ISO. What's wrong with a good old RB67 and a flash?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Oh, I wasn't the principal. I was just adding "flavor". This was my cousins wedding and she had another guy covering everything with a digicam/flash. I did shoot a lot with my Bronica.
    I will have someone check the camera. When I tested the camera, when it first arrived, I used the Gg, loupe, and the negs came out great. All in focus; used a lightmeter.

I forgot to mention that I pre-measured with a tape, and taped off on the floor where I should stand, but I did not have the camera with me to test focus... my bad.

The film did not get stuck together during processing.

The little mark on the bed has an infinity, and a 100 (on my Speed Graphic anyhow), and I set the 100 at 10' and the infinity at 15'. It worked when I tested it a few days ago.
    - J. Richard

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Well... something sure happened during processing. Those air bubbles say something... and that funky pattern on the last image... "something" was contacting the film during processing. If the sheets weren't touching each other or in contact with anything when you removed them from the tank then the wash separated them. Are you SURE you're using enough chemistry?

Afterthought... are you processing your films doubled back-to-back? If so then I strongly suspect you loaded them face-to-face.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Wash your hands. There should be no finger mark in the middle of any negative, ever.

Shooter
    35mm
    Whatever, it's all up hill from here!

Denis K

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    Well... something sure happened during processing. Those air bubbles say something... and that funky pattern on the last image... "something" was contacting the film during processing. If the sheets weren't touching each other or in contact with anything when you removed them from the tank then the wash separated them. Are you SURE you're using enough chemistry?

Afterthought... are you processing your films doubled back-to-back? If so then I strongly suspect you loaded them face-to-face.
    The air bubbles you see could be the "not quite dry" negative I scanned.
    I may not be using enough chemistry.

I am really interested more in what happened with the camera. I have an extra holder loaded from last night that I didn't shoot. Maybe I will test one correctly focused on the glass, and one shot with flash set at f16 1/25 from a measured 10 feet or so.
    - J. Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    it looks like the camera was not focused on the subject.
    i know you zone focused/ guesstimated but maybe either the people weren't
    where you had hoped they would be or your lens standard wasn't locked down ..
    as for the splotchy film and lines and marks
    bad tanks and bad developing technique can do that ..
    when i have film that is going to be important
    i usually shoot a few holders to test things out ...
    i will process a few sheets at a time to make sure
    things are just right ...
    i when you underexpose film by 5stops sometimes you learn lessons the hard way ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin