Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,339   Online: 1040

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floppy 8x10 2d

Images

Floppy 8x10 2d

I was shooting the 8x10 for the first time in about two years yesterday. I should say I was trying to shoot. I got one shot off when I realized, even with my cable release the whole camera shook. I am using a 300mm schneider something which is one hell of a big piece of glass (It is in my bag and I am too lazy to go look) but I have never seen it flop like that. Clearly this shot is toast. I spent a lot of time trying to figure how to make it not flop. I was shooting in our boat repair shop so I finally ended up with an outdrive jack lifting up a stool with a boxed gear set on the stool bracing the rail. I used the gear set because I found I needed some heft to steady the box on the soft seat of the stool. That was one sturdy fully adjustable rail brace but completely impractical for field shooting. There is no way the last shot will be messed up due to camera shake.

Is this a problem with the tripod head not being built for the camera. It has a weight rating that should not be a problem with the camera? It is a bogen 3029 on an after market heavy duty tripod.

I was not shooting at infinity so the bellows was out a ways. Anyone have any thoughts on how to keep this sturdy. Like I said, I have never seen this before but then again I never used it closer than infinity.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like you need to give the camera a good check over. Maybe things need tightening up.

Ian

Images
    I did that. Everything is tight. After posting last night I realized it was the whole camera not a part. I am suspecting I need to fashion a better base plate or something. I also got to thinking that the center post was raised about a foot. Maybe it is the tripod having flex issues with the heavy lens on the front of the camera.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Some people use a second (small) tripod to brace the front of the camera, or an adjustable arm that attaches to one of the tripod legs.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've always liked the AWB wind stabilizer in such situations even though there's little or no wind. It of course "locks" the front and rear standard together. I'm not so concerned about slop, flop, or whatever provided the front and rear standard were doing the same thing together. It's easier than the "4th leg".

You should check the shot too. You'd swear my old Korona 8x20 could never take a sharp picture, and people complain about Canhams being limber, but the Korona and Canhams (at least the one I had) consistently produce great results. If the whole camera is wobbling around the tripod attachment, then the standards may well be staying in the correct position relative to each other.

I've never used a Bogen 3029, but I can almost guarantee that an 8x10 isn't going to be very stable on that small a platform. You might also check that the screw isn't bottoming out before the camera is really firm on the head.

Cheers, Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have been shooting an 8x10 Kodak 2-D mounted on a Bogen/Manfrotto 3021/3047 combo. While I do not have much experience with this setup, I've only had is a few weeks now, it seems very stable to me. Much more so than, for example, an old floppy 5x7 Korona I had previously.

Do you have the sliding tripod block thingy? Was it used to center the mass of the camera and lens over the tripod? I think this would make a very significant difference.
    Last edited by BradS; 09-28-2009 at 03:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Do you have the sliding tripod block thingy? Was it used to center the mass of the camera and lens over the tripod? I think this would make a very significant difference.
    I was going to ask that as well, as your posts seem to indicat possibly not.

On my Agfa Ansco it makes a big difference, with the camera well balance it's more stable and the block removes any flex in the base track bed (where it hinges).

My 2nd Agfa Ansco with no block is far less stable so I intend to either make one or try & find one.

Ian

Images
    No sliding block for the 8x10. Have one for eht 5x7 2d. I checked, it is too small. The camera was definately front heavy but the more I think about it, the tripod center colume has to be the culprit. I do't think I have ever had to raise it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have an 8x10 2D and it's a stable camera. Using a center column is never a great idea for stability and your 3-way pan head seems a little on the small side. I also have mine on a 3047 head, and I wouldn't want to use anything smaller. The tripod block can help, depending on your lens and focusing distance, but the camera shouldn't be that shaky without it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I never use the center column. All it does is lead to instability.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin