Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,492   Posts: 1,571,346   Online: 825
      
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    12,788
    Images
    60
    This would be a good thread to post a cross-reference to in the medium format (and maybe even 35mm) forum(s).

    Matt

  2. #12
    Barry S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    DC Metro
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,263
    Images
    31
    That Slik tripod is probably not a great choice for a 4x5 despite their claimed weight rating. It's more suitable for a small SLR. Keep your eye on craigslist--you can frequently find inexpensive solid tripods. I got a heavy duty tripod with a nice head for $50.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Masstts. USA
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Posts
    273
    Avoid extending the center column too high above the tripod base and, also, try using a head and a tripod whose weight ratings are significantly greater (50% greater or more) than the required minimums for the equipment being used. The latter suggestion may be overkill but I have found it helps quite a bit.

    RT
    "Get over it."

  4. #14
    lxdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Redlands, So. Calif.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,700
    A couple of things-are you extending the center column? That will have a strong effect on platform stability, and depending how much it is extended, might affect resonance. Second, I just looked at the specs on the Universal 212 Deluxe, and the stated maximum capacity is 5.5 pounds, not 15. Also, I really wouldn't call $130 the big bucks!

  5. #15
    rmolson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Mansfield Ohio
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    307

    resonance

    Resonance


    Wow thanks for the great advice. I do remember reading about resonance , “but never thought it would happen to me”smurk anyway tried the shot glass with water on the camera and it was readily apparent I need to allow at least 5 seconds after touching the camera for anything to let it settle down and this is indoors. I’ll have to check out my Bronicas too This really does explain why I haven’t been getting pictures with very good equipment as I was with old beater cameras At least I now know what to look for. Thanks again

  6. #16
    Lee L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,244
    Quote Originally Posted by rmolson View Post
    Resonance- tried the shot glass with water on the camera and it was readily apparent I need to allow at least 5 seconds after touching the camera for anything to let it settle down and this is indoors
    This is also telling you about the behavior of water. Try bouncing a laser pointer off an attached filter or the front of the lens and watch the reflected laser beam on a wall several feet away. That will tell you more selectively what the camera is up to.

    You can also make an 'artificial star' (google for a number of DIY ideas) and record the image on film at varying shutter speeds. Keep good notes. The report I mentioned earlier found that one slr camera/tripod setup had a bad resonance around a specific shutter speed, something like 1/15th being much worse than either faster or slower shutter speeds.

    Lee

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Kuiper Belt
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    291
    Consider a wooden surveyor's tripod. They are fairly heavy [but that in itself is no advantage] and damp vibration really well. They are stiff, so oscillations tend to be small or [appear] not to start in the first place. Astronomers have been battling wobbles and vibration for 400 years. There are lessons to be had there. Summary: as stiff as possible and incorporate some elastic hysteresis. The latter is the quality of materials that cause them to absorb energy when strained.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hystere...tic_hysteresis

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Masstts. USA
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry.Manuel View Post
    Astronomers have been battling wobbles and vibration for 400 years. There are lessons to be had there. Summary: as stiff as possible and incorporate some elastic hysteresis. The latter is the quality of materials that cause them to absorb energy when strained.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hystere...tic_hysteresis
    Lessons to be found in biology as well: e.g. damping vibrations transmitted to a glass micropipette resting against a cell membrane. Which takes me back to worries about truck traffic and neurophysiology. So, an obvious question is what's the traffic like nearby?

    RT
    "Get over it."

  9. #19
    rmolson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Mansfield Ohio
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    307

    vibrations

    I live on a residential street in a small town with very little or no truck traffic
    I took some of the ideas and cut a 1/2 plank of soft pine an mounted the camera screw and then offset a 1/4 20nut for the tripod screw. The wood seems to absorb more of the vibration.But what surprised me Was I was set up testing on my dining room wood floor and tried the same thing on the living room padded carpet, and the vibrations seemed stronger! Who would have thunk!

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Montgomery, Il/USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,247
    Quote Originally Posted by rmolson View Post
    I live on a residential street in a small town with very little or no truck traffic
    I took some of the ideas and cut a 1/2 plank of soft pine an mounted the camera screw and then offset a 1/4 20nut for the tripod screw. The wood seems to absorb more of the vibration.But what surprised me Was I was set up testing on my dining room wood floor and tried the same thing on the living room padded carpet, and the vibrations seemed stronger! Who would have thunk!
    There's usually a padding beneath the carpet so it's bouncier.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin