Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,622   Online: 1017

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

5x4 b&w processing with a Jobo

Say I wanted get into developing my own black and white 5x4 negatives at home. I already have a Jobo CPE processor, so would it be advisable to get a 5x4 reel and use it with a 2500 series drum, but instead of going through the palaver of setting up the processor each time, just use the drum as a normal daylight tank, filling the tank almost full and giving it a few inversions/rolls every 30 seconds when developing?

Would this give good negs, or do those jobo drums need to keep rotating constantly to give even development with b&w?

I realise I'll use up more developer, but I use Rodinal at 1+50, so it's no great waste.

What about the jobo expert drums this way?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Jobo drums can be used for inversion processing, as you surmise, they just need a lot of solution to fill.

For inversion processing it would be best to get a drum with the normal top, not the type with the cog. Though if you could find a big enough bung or stopper, you could get away with using a cog lid. Having both would give you the flexibility to do rotary or inversion processing.

The expert drums cannot be used on the CPEs, and, as far as I know, can only be used for rotary processing.
    Steve

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" - Maxi Jazz

Website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Using the 2309n reel would work for inversion but has snallan mentioned you would have to use a bit (a lot) more chem.
    Now, no matter how you use it I would only load 4 sheets leaving the middle ones (it takes six) empty.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I've got the drum with the magnet attached, not the cog. So would this be OK?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have to let someone else answer this as I only use the cog. I am 99 pct sure it's ok but don't want to lead you wrong. You'll get the answer here.
    Best of luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
    I've got the drum with the magnet attached, not the cog. So would this be OK?
    Yes, that's the one. I would go with Tom's advice of only loading four sheets at time for inversion processing.
    Steve

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" - Maxi Jazz

Website

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use these tanks for a couple of years to develop 4x5 manually.
    No problems.

1.2 liter goes in...
    that's 12cc pyrocat A and 12cc pyrocat B

For filling the reel you maybe will need some practice. I always check after three items are inserted at one side that i feal 3 lines when i put a finger on the side (otherwise you have put 2 in the same slot. )

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use Jobo's for 4x5" inversion processing with six sheets per reel, works great. I like using them because I can do a combination of inversion for developing and rotary for fixing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The drum with the magnet is fine, it's really the tops that are different. The cog lid doesn't fit the cap you need to close off the opening for inversion use.
    I've developed 6 sheets with no problems with inversion. For the 1200ml of chem, you might as well run as many sheets as you can.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I put Sandy King's cat in my Jobo 2000 series tanks along with my 5x4 negs 1litre of deve per reel. The negatives come out perfectly but the cat's usually a bit wet

More seriously I've been processing 5x4 in a Jobo 2000 since 1976 with no problems at all, these older tanks were designed for Inversion. As others have said make sure you use the right volume for your particular tank.

I used Rodinal in my Jobo's for over 15 years and never thought it uneconomic.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin