Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,919   Posts: 1,556,439   Online: 1193

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Packard shutter with flash sync?

All,

I am looking at gettig a #6 Packard shuttter for a Hugo Meyer I just had recemented by Focal Point (very nice work by the way!) as well as a magic lantern lens and would like to use it for portraits with strobes/flash. 1) Anyone out there doing just that? 2) what type of connection comes on the older packard shutter with sync?

Shooter
    Large Format
    The packard connectors are usually just lamp wires with spade connectors although new ones have a pin connector that has no commonality of anything else I have come across.
    I have sacrificed the required PC end of old flash cables to give a length of wire that ends in two bare wires with are connected with solderless connectors to the wires of the Packard shutters ( which is usually just lamp wire).
    Alrenatively you can order the end you need on bare ended wire from Paramount cords.
    My Packards are mounted on 2 inch thick board as big as the packard dimensions with the barrel diameter drilled out. this slides over the lens barrell and places the shutter in front of the lens. Ungainly but it works.
    Other packards will fit within the bellows or in place of the mounting board, behind the lens. In a dark room it is possible to open the lens shutter,be that a hat or a t setting, and then fire the flash then close the shutter.
    Others will supply more ways to do it I am sure
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Bill,

I have a 8x10 calumet (orbit--just like the green monster except black) and that gives me 5x5 to work with if I mount the shutter behind the lens. I have read up on the in-front mount as well and haven't decided which way I will go. In front of the lens while ungainly may be the easiest to get done and would work for several different lenses. Thanks for the info on the cord--I have plenty of old pc cords I could hack up!

Matt

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin