Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,898   Online: 1144

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Clean and thoroughly dry fingers. Use the depressed half circle, and if the sheet still gives me trouble, I put the holder up side down.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i wash my hands and stick my fingernail under the edge and pull ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bite my nails, so I am an expert at rigging substitutes for them....

I have to second the suggestion to use a guitar "pick" (plectrum is the official name, in case there was any confusion about that). Good idea.

I usually use a razor blade or tweezers myself. I have also used the corner of a dark slide, ID cards, pieces of paper, as well as keys in a pinch.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    soaped and thoroughly rinsed, then THOROUGHLY dried hands.

otherwise, in a pinch, nitrile powderless gloves (I seem to always have a pair on me for some reason or another).

-Dan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Clean dry fingers -- hands/fingers do not produce oil -- that comes from touching various parts of one's head/face, so don't.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I just hold the holder so the film is facing down, it lifts off of the holder and enough for me to get a nail under it and out. Let gravity do the work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What I use is a home made, so called 'film tweezers'. This is an about 1,5 cm wide strip cutted out of the short side of a 'bad' sheet of film and folded in the middle. So I can slip one side of the tweezers under the sheet and use the upper part of the 'film tweezers' to protect the emulsion side of the film against finger prints.
    No plectrum (very good idea!) or fingernails, just a folded piece of film that is of the same material as the 'thing' that has to be handled.

Philippe
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    In recent years I've taken to wearing powderless nitrile gloves for loading and unloading--no fingerprints, dust or lint, and if I take the gloves off carefully, I can reuse them in the darkroom. I realized that this was necessary when I was shooting in Hawai'i for two months before I could process the film. Fingerprints that might not have been a problem had the film been developed promptly became a problem when the film couldn't be processed for a few weeks.
    David I am a big fan of nitrile as well. I'm a tray development guy (old fashioned I guess) and I love nitrile so I'm not sniffing fix for the rest of the week when I eat haha.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have the world's greasiest fingers, so I use nitrile gloves as well for loading and unloading. They're pretty cheap by the box at the neighborhood drug store.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    In recent years I've taken to wearing powderless nitrile gloves for loading and unloading--no fingerprints, dust or lint, and if I take the gloves off carefully, I can reuse them in the darkroom. I realized that this was necessary when I was shooting in Hawai'i for two months before I could process the film. Fingerprints that might not have been a problem had the film been developed promptly became a problem when the film couldn't be processed for a few weeks.
    Please explain
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin