Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,905   Posts: 1,555,845   Online: 816

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, Yes, Yes. There is some quantum physical effect where not shooting the same scene twice increases the probability of dust or a pin hole in the film to ruin the negative . There have been many times when I was thankful for shooting both sides of the holder on a scene.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    My common procedure is be to make backups or bracket shots to another holder or holders, so that I can always safely unload each entire holder and develop to the same specs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very rarely. Perhaps if the light conditions are demanding, but not routinely.
    Steve

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" - Maxi Jazz

Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It depends on how much film I have and how broke I am...but I do it if I can afford to, simply because I like having some backup. I do not bracket with 4x5 ever. Sometimes I will take different exposures just because I want the option of printing something a few different ways, but never bracketing to make sure I get a good exposure. I have the bad habit of bracketing with medium format roll film, actually, but not 35mm or 4x5. It is because I am often moving too fast for my own good with medium format. If I didn't have to, I would be using 4x5 instead!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I use 8x10. If it is an important image -- usually two identical exposures. Film seems to be the cheapest expense I have on a photo trip. But I also have a heavy hand in pre-editing -- most of the images I take these day are "important". I don't usually take the effort to set the camera up for the unimportant images, and will take down the camera if what I see on the GG does not match (or better) how I felt about the image before I set the camera up.

Also, I might decide to expose two negs of a scene so that I can develop them differently for different printing processes -- but mostly I'll expose two as cheap insurance.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not always,
    No
    Not necessarily. Much depends on your confidence level and budget, as stated.
    However, regardless of your confidence there are a lot of things that can go wrong when using sheet film. That said, I genreally only do duplicates when I know the shot is special. Sometimes there is only one opportunity though, so it's best if your skills are up to it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Not since I stopped shooting stock photography. Back then I shot 3 images of everything, one for me, one for the agency and one for backup.

These day I shoot mainly 4x5 and I could count on one hand the number I times I have shot a second image of the same scene.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    That's my practice, too -- the Fred Picker system of doing the even numbered side at N and the odd side at N+1, adjusting the exposure and development accordingly. This gives me a normal contrast and a slightly more contrasty neg so that a full range of contrasts can be printed covering a good four grades if you want to experiment that much. I often find that the N+1 neg is the best, but it never fails that one of the two negs will give a really good print so having the choice definitely pays off! And, if one of the negs is scratched or otherwise damaged, you can always make an acceptable print from the other neg.
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Most times I will make either a different composition of the same subject or make myself find another subject close by, since I have gone to the effort of setting up in the first place. And there have been days where those two exposures are all I get. But seldom, if ever, will I make a mirror image unless I know FOR CERTAIN I missed it.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nope... I am usually pretty confident on the first exposure...
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin